Distortion Pedal Wish List

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Turtle71, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    OK, so, sorry for the 1,257,578th thread about bass distortion/overdrive but I have a few specific distortion wants, and I was hoping to consolidate all of them in one pedal thread...there are SO many options out there these days, I'm hoping you fine folks can at least help me weed out some of them. :)

-Budget $300 +/- a few bucks, new or used OK by me.
    -Nice EQ section (3 band or better), this is important to me...YMMV.
    -Clean blend if possible, if no blend, at least no low loss.
    -Dedicated distortion pedal, preamp not needed, but if it has one that's just fine. (B7K for example).

Pedals I've tried or still have.

IdiotBox Blower Box...great pedal, wish it had a blend (though almost doesn't need it).
    Darkglass B7K...I use to have this, was running it as a clean pre...never really used it as a distortion box maybe grab another?
    Darkglass B3K...Nice pedal, just left me wishing for more EQ tweakability.
    SansAmp BDDI...(new version w/mids), this is my current CLEAN pre, it's not going anywhere.
    SansAmp VTBass...this is my current low gain OD, I dig it.
    Fulltone OCD...(version 3 I think?) cool pedal, would love more EQ, sounds great with a blend pedal.
    MXR M80...Just not my thing.
    MXR Blowtorch...WAY not my thing.
    EHX Bass Blogger...I couldn't beat a good tone out of that thing with a hammer.

Pedals I've considered

Dr. Scientist The Elements
    IdiotBox Landphil (sold out at the moment though)
    Empress Multidrive
    Wampler Low Blow
    Creation Audio Grizzly Bass
    Brimstone Audio XD-1

Any others I should consider?

2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Source Audio Aftershock

Philly Watts likes this.
  3. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Dunwich Volt Thrower... currently available: Home
    I think the VT is the state of the art for Ratish distortions.

Damnation MBD-1... available in the near future: Home
    The MBD-1 is an original circuit and the current fav distortion of @gregmon79

Correct me if I'm wrong

I own and totally dig the VT and I have a MBD-1 on order.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  4. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    Florida
    Maybe you can do what I did, get your pedals custom made. You seem to know what you want.
    I got a few of my favorite dirt pedals that way. None of them cost over $300.

Turtle71 likes this.
  5. Turtle71

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Definitely lots of eq options and tweakability, but to be honest, I'm more of a knob twiddler though, not so much into software manipulation, but I can totally see the appeal to people. Thanks!

6. Turtle71

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Both of these pedals sound pretty sweet (youtube is a great tool!)

zapped777 likes this.
  7. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Dunwich pedals. Which one depends how long you can wait, I guess.

I got a custom pedal from him for much less than your budget.

8. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    What are you looking for exactly? How about accompanying the dist with a graphical eq?

9. Go with a custom unit, there are several builders that can supply what you are looking for.
    Josh Broughton
    Max and [sfx]
    but I would first suggest Ryan at Fuzzrocious rratajski perhaps combining his various fuzz flavors and options with a Feed Me or Baxstabber.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  10. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    Triton labs lazy cat II, aftershock. There is also the amptweaker bass tight drive Jr which looks very interesting.

11. Philly Watts

Philly Watts

May 6, 2016
    Now that you're running the Sansamp BDDI V2, the cool thing is that dirt pedals sound so much better (and different) when running into the amp and cab sim on it.

For example, I do not like the MXR M80 distortion (same as you), but it sounds amazing running into the BDDI. Just make sure you run the blend a little on the BDDI.

I will recommend the Darkglass VMT Ultra or SA Aftershock based on what you are looking for. Cheers!

Turtle71 likes this.
  12. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd say B7k ultra if you liked that style if drive but want maximum EQ flexibility

Darkglass Alpha Omega low gain it all out war with EQ and blend

The grizzly bass as always sounded great in every clips I've heard

Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie B is great for more fuzz type tone and can get very aggressive has a great clean blend on it as well.

Aguilar Agro also sounds great from subtle to in your face.

13. Turtle71

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    OK, thanks to everyone who chimed in here, some really good ideas were given!! :thumbsup:

After at least 6-7 hours of internet surfing & youtube watching today (not even kidding)....OMG have I watched a LOT of dirt pedal videos today. :banghead:

One thing is certain to me now...there has GOT to be a dirt pedal for every person out there...

I finally came to a decision, one that wasn't even on my radar...

I went with a Providence Brick Drive BDI-1. It checks every box on my list, and the youtube video demo from MrExcane sealed the deal for me. :bassist:

Plus I found one right here in the TB classifieds...thanks @DistortedBass

I've also got a loaner B7K inbound (from the same friend I sold it to :)) I'm going to a/b them once I get them...though from listening to the youtube vids, I think I'm more into the BDI-1.

If neither of these pan out I'll try the Volt Thrower, one of the Darkglass Alpha Omicron (once they're shipping), or go custom.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021