Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distortion pedal with a clean output or blend knob?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JehuJava, Feb 21, 2005.

1. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I am looking for a Distortion pedal that my clean tone will be heard with the distortion effect. Either dual output or a blend know. Any good ones out there??

Alan

2. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You could try a Dunlop M-80.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    The digitech BassDriver (part of the X series of pedals from them) has a blend knob, though I don't really know if that's what you're going for. I could never tell if it blended the dry signal with the wet one or not, but then again, I just played with the Level, Tone and Morph knobs - got a nice grindy SVT tone from it actually. Tomorrow I'll tool around with it and see what it really does.

Ray

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I second the MXR M-80 Bass D.I.+ I use one- it's reveiwed here.

Ted

6. you can try out the boss odb-3. contrary to what most people say, i think it actually sounds good (if you are using passives your gonna have to roll back the tone knob to avoid feedback), but it feeds back some too.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Depth Charge, it's a fuzz though.

8. ProCo Juggernaut

9. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I've read some really great reviews on the MXR M-80. I'm real impressed. I think I'll check one out this weekend. Thanks Guys.

Alan

10. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

...Demeter Fuzzulator. Although it is titled "fuzz" is has selectable germanium or LED distortion circuits...and both a blend and output level control, as well as a passive tone cntrl. Very cool.
    Max

11. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Ok, I've never played either fuzz or distortion so I have no real reference. But what is the difference between the two?

Alan

12. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
  13. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    not the most popular choice around here...but the SansAmp (original or classic) has about the most controllable and versatile gain structure I've ever used in a box. It has 3 levels or modes of distortion or crunch..DIP switches to hone the lows, mids and highs..separate volume, gain and presence controls. You can dial in as much or little crunch as you want.
    It really a great little box for guitar or bass. It has saved a few gigs when the bass rig went down and I had to patch directly to the board for sound. I take it everywhere..even if I don't use it. It's a valuable tool in my box.

For over the top stuff..I have a Crowther Prunes and Custard.

as far as running clean and dirt together...bi-amping and sending the distortion to the high end is a very nice way to go.