1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Distortion Pedals that DON'T retain low end

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gearhead17, Nov 4, 2018.

1. I am going against the trend here. I am looking for distortion pedals that kill the low end to make my live setup simpler. I already have an excellent clean tone, but wanted to blend it with a distortion tone that kills the low end and some of the low mids. (40hz-300hz). Of course I could add an EQ after the distortion pedal, but I am hoping to find a distortion box that does what I want right away so I can forego future pedal purchases. I have been focusing on guitar pedals, but I am a little overwhelmed and was hoping talkbass could drive me into the right direction.

In the end, I am not looking a for a fuzz or anything along the lines of "transparent" distortion. If you would simply like to share pedals that killed the low end and you absolutely hated, go right ahead! That might be EXACTLY what I need! :bassist:

oZZma likes this.
  2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you like metal distortion pedals, check out the biyang metal end. this pedal is basically a modified boss metal zone. it has eq controls so that should save you the hassle of buying an eq pedal. you can find one on cheaperpedals.com or amazon.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    operagost likes this.
  3. Frodolicious

Frodolicious

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    Grab any boss dirt pedal from craigslist for dirt cheap

4. DS-1 seems like a good place to start. cheap, everyone seems to hate it, it's pretty buzzy.

geof_ and Frodolicious like this.
  5. Tech21 Tri-Ac set to "British" mode.

Here it is with an RE-20 Space Echo, direct to DAW(I had the bass dimed on the pedal for that):

Fuzzbass and Gearhead17 like this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Ibanez Tube Screamers. Sucks the low end like a Shop Vac set on high.

Crater, HolmeBass, JACink and 13 others like this.
  7. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

I tried a Lounsberry Rupert that had a nice distortion but didn’t have much in the low end.

8. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    This is what I would suggest. Plus they really don't sound that bad at all.

Either that or a Black Rat by Mosky. It does provide some low end in the turbo mode, but the vintage mode will take some low end away and the drive character is great. Nice n ratty.

FaithNoMan likes this.
  9. 2010P

2010P Banned

May 13, 2017
    Metal Zone is the best best because you can completely shut off the bass so it will be a nice top end to ride over your lows in your setup. Plus, if you bring back the bass it becomes an amazingly great bass distortion imo. People poopie all over this pedal, but it is actually amazing sounding on bass. Although to be completely honest, I'd use it in the studio on bass over live any day.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

If you literally want to kill off your low end, you could get a multiband distortion pedal and turn off the low band.

Multiband distortions use a crossover to split the signal into low and high frequencies (sometimes low, mid, and high), then each band is distorted separately (though some only distort the high band), and finally the bands are mixed back together.

A few examples -- the first two allow you to adjust crossover frequency:
    Darkglass -- Microtubes X or X7
    Brimstone Audio -- XD-2 or Basilisk
    Tech 21 -- DP-3X dUg Pinnick signature

Just doing due diligence. Multiband tech isn't cheap, so other recommendations above will be more affordable.

gregmon79 likes this.
  11. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Not all who wander are lost Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Front Range, Colorado
    This

12. BlueShox

BlueShox Registered Turtle

Jul 14, 2007
    West Columbia, SC
    Digi_DDM2.

I think this is the second time I've posted this in two weeks!

13. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    DOD Boneshaker, absolutely brutal but has a semi parametric EQ that is magical.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    two fingers, Lammchop93, GTx2 and 2 others like this.
  14. Thank you everyone for the suggestions! Please keep them coming. I am going to give the Boss Metal Zone try first, but I am intrigued by many listed....

2010P likes this.
  15. 2010P

2010P Banned

May 13, 2017
    Best choice. You're gonna love it. Perfect top end zing and crunch for your needs. The rest of these suggestions are great pedals no doubt, but many are complete overkill for what your actual real world needs are.

16. If you want to lose low end for like a Lofi effect to drag the dynamics down and then kick the pedal off right as the music explodes into big sounding chorus or a heavy part/breakdown kicks in the boss metal zone works great for that. The eq on it is really what allows it to pull off that sound. Very common thing that’s done in heavy music. Lot of bands these days use backing tracks from a laptop for that stuff but when nu metal was in its prime you’d see metal zones on the boards of all the popular nu metal bands. You’ll still see them on the boards of bands like Korn for example and they still use them for that

If you want to simplify a multiband type of vibe just get the darkglass microtubes x. It’s all built into the pedal

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Rumbledore and Fuzzbass like this.
  17. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    YUP. The cheaper the better :thumbsup:

18. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    RAT has no low end

I own the Boneshaker and liked the results. Even at lowest settings it is quite grungy.

HolmeBass and vvvmmm like this.
  19. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    ^^^ Excellent recommendation and I can concur. I spit my signal into lows and highs and I use the Rat on the high end only, it kills nicely ;-)
    Rock on.

20. DOD Attacker. Love the actual distortion of it, but it really sucks the low end out. Dare I say, the quality/sonics of the distortion (to me) have the edge on my Darkglass A/O.

If it might mean anything to you, it's kinda that Obituary guitar sound - when drive is maxxed.

The Rage likes this.