Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distortion pickups?????????????????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Grendal's daddy, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Grendal's daddy

Grendal's daddy Guest

Mar 25, 2001
    USA, Fort Worth
    I am really into heavy distortion. I have seen pickups with built in distortion. How good are they? Can you turn them off and on? Do they make nasty sounds when hooked up to another disortion pedal or do they make a better distortion? What are the best (quality and financial) ones out there?

How could I arrange them to get a deep gutty distorion? I have two pickups. Should I mix 2 distortions, a distortion and a deep toned pickup, what? AHHH! I don't have a clue when it comes to pickups. Help me, please!

2. I've never seen pickups with accual distortion built into them, I had distortion pickups for my guitar and they are made to sound clear when they are distorted but they have no distortion themselves, what company sells these pickups?

3. I used to own a bass about 10 years ago with distortion pickups. it was an Ibanez ex series bass nothing real fancy or expensive. It had no on/off switch. I think they might just give a meatier sound with distortion. However I don't really know -I never really could figure it out totally myself. They were passive pick-ups, If they were active ones I would of just thought my batterry was running low. Hey you could try that :) I think you'd be best off with some good pick-ups and add a pedal you like to it. Personally I didn't like the sound of those pick-ups at all.

well...I hope this helps a little.

4. Grendal's daddy

Grendal's daddy Guest

Mar 25, 2001
    USA, Fort Worth
    I saw some in a magaizine a long time ago. I don't remember what magazine or brand. (to pinkfloyd)
    I know NOTHING when it comes to pickups, so don't get too technical or anything, please.
    Here are some that I just found. What do they accomplish?

Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion

Dimarzio DP100 Super Distortion

5. your talking about bass pickups right? cuz both those are guitar pickups, I have the dimarzo in my bc rich mockingbird. These pickups are designed to stay clear when distorted and when not distorted the sound just like any other pickups. I've never seen any of these for basses. I would agree with rexspangle, you should buy yourself some nice pickups and find a distortion petal you like that offers the features you want.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    In case you didn't understand, those pickups wont work for bass.

Why do you want so much distortion? Between this and the tuning you want, youre going to ruin your amp. And you wont sound good, at all. Whatever cheap amp you have, it will distort from the tuning alone, and thats not good. You'll lose all youre low end the more distortion you have. Good luck trying to find a band.

7. Grendal's daddy

Grendal's daddy Guest

Mar 25, 2001
    USA, Fort Worth
    What I am planning on doing later on, is getting a sub to handle all the lows, and add another speaker for the mids and highs like distortion and stuff. My step father knows a ship load about speakers and frequencies and such.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    All i have to say is:

What lows?

9. Grendal's daddy

Grendal's daddy Guest

Mar 25, 2001
    USA, Fort Worth
    So the speakers can handle the sound that I want. I like deeeeeeep lows and clear highs for distortion.

10. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
  11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    What i meant was that with as much nasty distortion as you want, you'd have NO lows.

The only way you could really work this would be running two channels (biamp, basically) with one channel running clean and dry lows while the second channel (the highs) would be running the distortion, so you have the bass plus the distortion you want.

If youre playing a Rogue, id say you dont have the money to buy the equipment necessary for this, and it would be a waste anyway, because it would still sound like crap.

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You could contact Lindy Fralin or Bartolini and ask them to do special windings for you. More windings = less high end, less windings = less depth, so you if you spec'd your pups, less windings would help you out as long as you can accept the impact on your mids, (less).

An effects unit would probably get you there best. It sounds like the Budda PhatBass Distortion was made for you. You'd have better control over the distortion than with pickups or overdriving the snot out of your speakers. (Shoot, guys like Dave Davies of the Kinks used to take razor blades and slit their cones :eek: but they were g****rists.

13. Grendal's daddy

Grendal's daddy Guest

Mar 25, 2001
    USA, Fort Worth
    where can I get the DEEPEST toned pickups? Or if I get them custom, about how much could that cost?

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You're looking probably at least $200 minimum PER pickup. Thats probably at or near as much as your bass.