Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distortion Soundclips

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by full_bleed, Jun 15, 2005.

1. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Post some clips of your basses distorted and give some specs like which pedal, bass, settings and that sort of good info.

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    This is a Peavey foundation 5-string to a Boss CS-3, then to an ODB-3, and on to a little Hartke rig (1400 head and a 4X10); it's miked with a Groovetubes GT-55.

http://www.narwold.org/joep//H_Squares_Practice.mp3

the compressor is set something like 11:00, 2:00, 2:00, 7:00. The distortion is something like Bass=1:00, Treb=7:00, Blend=10:00, Gain=7:00. The amp has the high-mids cranked.

The passive bass is set for bridge pup, with the tone rolled-off all the way.

Joe

3. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
  4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    All thanks to you! :)

5. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    heh nah man you paid the money! im thinking of getting one myself.

6. pepsican

pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    iowa
  7. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    yeah im digging that... is there a very slight synth or phasing on the first part of metroid? ie - the same effect that comes through in the bass at the end? very cool. plus your guitarists delay riff sounds pretty good.

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That's awesome pepsican, i'm gonna have to show my (geeky) friend those! :p

9. pepsican

pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    iowa
    The only effect I used was the muff'n. At the end of the track I just had my bass swinging back and forth towards the amp to make that effect(while still strapped on, if that makes sense). We actually have gotten a lot of people that ask about what delay our guitarist uses and it is just a no name cheap pedal he got from a pawn shop.

My equipment went like this:

G&L L-1500 ----> english muff'n -----> GK 700RBII ----> GK sbx 4x10

10. pepsican

pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    iowa
    Haha, yeah, geeks huh..... :spit: ;)

11. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    the english muffin is like tube version of the big muff right? i spose it has a little natural 'zip' to it... still i like it. heh looks like you guys had a big 'house' gig huh? ;) at least you have a band, more than i can say at this point.

12. pepsican

pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    iowa
    Yeah, we were supposed to fill in for our drummers other band, but then they got to play as well. I will be damned if that small kitchen doesn't have some great sound though; there is nothing like a good house show.

I wouldn't exactly call the muff'n a tube version of the big muff. It doesn't get as snarly as a muff but it keeps all of the low end and has a lot more seperation note to note than a muff could ever hope for. I also like the EQ on the muff'n to help dial in your sound a little better while still keeping the setting you want on the amp for when you arent using it. Both are good pedals but as soon as I bought the muff'n the big muff was never used again.

13. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    kitchen accoustics are far better than garage :) the note clarity was something i didnt like about the big muff but after all its a fuzz and its not meant to be subtle.