Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distortion that effects the low freqs....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Right now I have a Boss MD-2 which sounds like cr@p and an EHX English Muff'n which sounds pretty sweet with my wah.

The only problem I have with the EM is that it doesn't effect the low freqs. This makes it perfect IMO for use with my wah. I can just leave the wah on all the time and not lose any bass cus I just pump as much as I need into the wah using the muff'n's low control! I can then also sorta control the vol dif between heel and toe with the mid and high controlls.

anyway... back on topic, I'm getting a SAPDDI in a few weeks and am planning on using it for my clean sound, and what I'm looking for is a distortion effect that:
    Code:
    - Clips in the Low -> Mid range
    - Is ANALOG
    - Doesn't change the signal when it's off (even if it's NOT true bypass)
    - can use a normal 9V power supply
    One thing I'm thinking of doing is taking an MXR Micro Amp and feeding it into the SAPDDI. The one thing I'm afraid of is that the volume diff when I kick in the MA will be huge.
    Since the PD circuit is the same as the BDDI's, how is the BDDI for Low/Mid drive when using an active bass (as I'd be using the MA).

And would the vol diff be huge if I used the MA?

2. jujube_2a

jujube_2a

Jan 18, 2006
    Corsica, France
    What do you mean by Clips in the Low -> Mid range?
    Did you think about the Fulltone Bassdrive?

3. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Maybe youll have to split your signal. Then have a low pass EQ setting on on and a high pass on the other, simply put two 10 band EQs one with the 5 high response down and one with 5 low response bands down. and then marry them up again.

Trouble with that is that its hard to get the lows and highs at the same dB when one is distorted. Might need a compresser in the chain for one signal path before they come back together again.

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    The dists I have now seem to leave the bass alone, and just distort the mids and highs. I am looking for something that will clip the lows.

I'll have to check out the Bassdrive. A lot of TBers seem to think it's the greatest :bassist:

5. jujube_2a

jujube_2a

Jan 18, 2006
    Corsica, France
    I own the bassdrive!
    You won't be disappointed.
    You can also check out the Homebrew Hematoma...
    I heard goods things about it too.

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Thanks, I'll have to check that out!

7. Have you thought of checking out the EHX Graphic Fuzz? Im not sure if it will do what your looking for, but with the graphic eq it might help.

Im actually quite suprised ive never seen this pedal mentioned around here before. I would think it would be great for bass with the eq on it. Could certainly dial in some nice bassy tones. Plus, if its anything like the muff, it could be VERY cool

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Thanks, but after hearing the Blowtorch demos, I'm gonna try one of those out first!

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Distorted lows make everything sound like a pile of mud IMO.

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I can imagine they would, but the Blowtorch has the freq shift switch and the sound from JAUQO III-X's demos is pretty close to what I've been looking for. The demos were done with at least some of the origanal bass blended in (always at 3:00). I'm hoping that with blend all the way it'll sound cruchyer. I believe that one of JAUQO III-X's responses to Q's was something like it will do ultra crunch.

The Blowtorch is next on my list, but still a ways off. Like always I plan on posting about it when I get around to getting one.

11. ill not 100% about this, but my boss heavy metal HM-2 has a seperate low and high coloration controls, when i get the chance ill check to see if you just distort the lower freq's or higer freq's