1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Distortion that plays nice with active electronics?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kwantize, May 13, 2010.

1. kwantize

kwantize

Mar 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I'm looking for an overdrive ( fuzz / distortion / etc. ) to pair with my VT bass, and bartolini active pickups. A lot of the ones that I've tried in the past seem to sound better on passive electronics than on active. I really like the clips I've heard of the wolly mammoth, but have been reading that it dosen't sound very good with active pickups. I'm assuming that one of the mammoth clones being of similar design would have this same problem. Anybody out there have some knowledge to hit me with?:confused:

2. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    The mastotron isn't exactly a mammoth, but it works fine with actives. The Chunk Brown Dog is another gated fuzz that will work with actives. Most other overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals will work just fine, too.

3. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    Don't mean to sound snarky, but is it your bass or your ears? Turning an active down a bit can help. Are you running into a SS or tube amp? Makes a big difference IMO...

4. ODB-3 is really worth a try with active, it becomes an entirely different beast.

5. G0rilla

G0rilla

Feb 1, 2008
    Latvia, Riga
    Making ears bleed since 1989
    Blended rat plays great with active bass. But if you get one, i recomend you to mod it.

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    The Xotic Bass BB works really well.

7. Bish42

Bish42

Dec 26, 2001
    England
    MXR Bass Blow Torch works great with my active jazz.

8. those are three different things. it depends on just what kind of sound you want.

I play only active basses and have been through a ton of dirt, I've never tried a wooly mammoth. everything else, for the most part has worked just fine, aside from some low end loss, but I have blender to make up for it.

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    haha good call.

Overdrive, distortion and fuzz are indeed pretty different. I'm more of an OD man myself. I like fuzz, I just can't ever seem to find a live usage for it. :meh:

10. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    Hao Rust Ride Overdrive, has a specific active input

11. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    I really like my Boss ODB-3 but some people don't like it.

12. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    If you're looking for a gated fuzz, I would strongly suggest a Copilot Orbit. Here's John Davis's demo.

13. Polish Loves work just fine with actives, sound great in front of a VT, and have more gain than you'll ever need.

14. Tech 21 XXL Bass Edition.

A Big Purple box of AWESOME.