Distortion through DI?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by justboy, Feb 23, 2005.

1. justboy

Feb 23, 2005
    I own a big muff pi. Its absolutely great..untill its D.I'd;then it buzzes like a beehive. I was just wondering whether anybbody has knowledge of a way that i can acheive the big muff sort of sound when playing directly into the pa instead of getting an awful buzzing sound..if its just this particular pedal then what distortion is good for getting a muse kind of sound?
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's because the preamp usually tames the distortion.
    When you go direct the raw tone goes directly through the PA.
    You want to have your tone compressed and EQed a bit by your soundguy.
    If you change soundguy at every gig, your best option is to use a small preamp such as a SansAmp to shape your tone a bit before sending it to FOH.
  3. thesmallprint

Jan 4, 2005
    well i play in a band are for the moment we are just doing muse covers and starting to do our own stuff. i hav a russian big muff and a good pedal to go with that is the guyatone the fuzz, you can do just about anything with these two pedals. my settings for the big muff are sus:2:00 tone 4:00

edit: if you think the big muff is x-treme fuzz then you u aint seen nothing yet
  4. justboy

Feb 23, 2005
    Where would i go about putting a sansamp in my setup.Before or after the distortion?
  5. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    after. you want to shape the signal coming out of the big muff.
  6. atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    Why don't you just say to soundman that you use distortion, so he can also mic the cabinet? That way he can get clean sound from DI/sansamp and distortions from the mic'd cab into the PA mix. This is very common way to do it...
  7. Two things that spring to mind -
    1) Your PA input may be expecting 0dB (about 0,7 volts) and your instrument/fx chain may be running a lot hotter than that. Overload distortion would sound like an awful buzz.
    2) You connect a working system to a new system, and you get an awful buzzing sound - if it is continuous, it could be an earth/earth loop problem. If you have an earth lift switch on the PA, or on the DI box, see if that makes a difference.