1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Distortion type effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by WeightedWings, Feb 20, 2008.

1. WeightedWings

WeightedWings

Feb 12, 2008
    So I have a multifx unit, but one of its weak points is distortion, so I was looking at maybe buying a pedal to supplement it. At the moment I'm looking at 4 (I'm aware these are fairly different pedals):
    Crowther Prunes and Custard, Devi Ever Spectacular Aenima, Blackbox Ultraviolet2, and T-Rex Bassjuice. I was just looking for comments from people who own these and maybe if at all possible some sound files of your recordings as well. They all seem interesting in different ways and I'm just hoping someone here might share an experience or sound clip that might make me go "I need that in my life or I don't think I can go on living." So, hit me with some wisdom talkbasskateers.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

2. Choosh

Choosh

Jan 14, 2008
    Chicago
    Well distortion for bass is a weird deally. From my experiance messing around with my friends boss copy. its really good to give an extra soft growl to the bass. But what you may really like is Fuzz. Iono, I haven't experimented a lot, but I am really digging both Lil' Big Muff, and Blowtorch sound clips, and video clips I see online.

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Click on the Wiki link above, gobs of distortion pedal samples found in there.

I've recently discovered the Spectacular ænima and might have to pick one up, seems like a real unwieldy pedal. I haven't searched around for opinions of it yet, but I'm sure there's at least a few hanging about.