Distortion & Wah: A Before or After Story

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MatticusMania, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Distortion First

60 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Wah First

34 vote(s)
    23.6%
  3. Doesnt Matter

12 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Carrots First. CARROTS ALWAYS COME FIRST!

38 vote(s)
    26.4%
  1. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    And I believe Cliff ran his muff into the wah...

2. Wah first for me 99.99% of the time.
    But I happen to love the sound of a Wah Filter HITTING the Distortion instead of the other way around.

3. born2lift

born2lift

Feb 14, 2012
    Erie Michigan
    It's really hard to argue with what this guy in the video did. The tone he gets is pretty spot on.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    I'm not arguing, just stating what I'm pretty sure he did no matter what the guy in the vid is doing.

5. born2lift

born2lift

Feb 14, 2012
    Erie Michigan
    What are you basing you assumption on?

6. And I say get a flip-flop pedal, housed in 1590a to minimise footprint, and plug the Wah and the Distortion into the flip-flop.

Then you can toggle the pedal order either way with a single stomp.

I know it's an old thread, but I'm surprised nobody suggested a flip-flop in the first instance.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    I'm sorry if I'm not being clear here, but I'm not "assuming" anything. I'm simply repeating something that I'm fairly certain I've read or seen before. I'm not looking to argue about it. Nor am I stating it as fact

When I have time later I'll see if I can find something that backs it up but I really don't have time right now. Fathers Day and a 3 month old baby...

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY

9. born2lift

born2lift

Feb 14, 2012
    Erie Michigan
    ip48ps.png

No offense intended. I found this pic and it seems that the cable coming from his bass is going into the blue pedal, which looks like a Boss CS-1
    Compressor Sustainer, then into the Morley Power Wah Boost, then it's hard to tell where it goes from there.

10. for me it depends largely on the guitar, bass, specific wahs and the other effects as to what goes in front or after it.

I put it in a loop that I can move to a bunch of different places in the chain.

11. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    There was Morley Double Bass Wah going through Harttke Bass Attack.

12. born2lift

born2lift

Feb 14, 2012
    Erie Michigan
    The bass > wah > bass attack > amp?

13. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    I can't remember the amp. But my sound changes just slightly from amp to amp.

14. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I haven't used a wah regularly for a while since I really dialed in my Mu-Trons and various clones. But I like dirt->filter. I think it sounds better by a mile.

15. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    So I'm not sure where any of the confusion came from, but I finally had a chance to watch the video. He's running the muff into the wah as well.

16. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    There is a tiny amount of fuzz coming from the Muff, it's mostly from the wah if I heard him right.
    I prefer my wah after dirt to get a really wahed sound. Using thick dirt after a wah just seems to destroy the filter sweep so it sounds like a distorted bass without any bottom.
    No bottom, no bounce.

17. Yeti_carnage

Yeti_carnage

Apr 20, 2014
    I vote for WAH> Distortion. I play with my chain every time I add a pedal to see how different pedals act with each other. There's actually a fairly good article in one of the recent guitar worlds about pedal placement. It's the one with Joe Satriani, and Zakk Wylde on the cover. I think you can still find it out there.

18. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    I have got Plutoneium Chi Wah Wah in my board, and Bootsy Collins Signature Wah before it.

Attached Files:

19. born2lift

born2lift

Feb 14, 2012
    Erie Michigan
    Are you referring to the video I posted where the guy shows thou how to get the Cliff Burton tone? If you are, right before he plays, he says that the Muff is going directly into the amp, then the wah then the compressor then the bass. Or am I missing something?

20. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    I have no idea. The way that is worded is very confusing. If the muff is going directly into the amp, how is anything else plugged in?