1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Distortion with big low end bump?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Maxfenderbass, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Ok so here is the current dirt situation on my board. I have a Prunes and Custard, MBD-1, MXR Bass Distortion and a EHX Green Russian.
    What I have notice at band practice is the massive low end bump that the MBD-1 and Green Russian give. When I then go to my mxr, I just feels weak.
    My question is there something out there that can give me the low end bump I amp looking for with accomplishing the speaker ripping sound of the MXR. I would also prefer it to be the same/similar size to the mxr as the board is pretty full.

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The Idiotbox Blower Box has a similar sound to the MXR with TONS of low end available via the bass EQ.

SolidgoldFX Beta also has a big dollop of baked in bass boost but sounds rather mellow in comparison. There is a limited edition black LM308 version in existence though, which is a much heavier distortion.

3. Used to own a blower box, wasn’t for me, a little too grindy for me. I also owned a beta germanium, sold it to my guitar player because of the amount of low end suck.

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I do keep the gain low and the treble all the way off with the Blower Box to keep it in line.

Regarding the Beta, I've never tried the germanium edition, only the standard. But that one definitely has no low end loss, I had it on my board next to my EHX Green Russian because it had the same thunderous low end but just a much lower gain version of it!

5. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    You can try Wren and Cuff Supa Phat Phuk

6. Great pedal but not enough gain for what I am looking for.

Agosix likes this.
  7. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

Mix the mxr and the mbd together in parallel?

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If by big low-end bump you meant a significant lo-mid boost, darkglass vintage deluxe or ultra is what comes to mind.

9. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Dunwich ODB.

10. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

Compared to the mbd the odb's lowend is limited ime

Maxfenderbass likes this.
  11. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    A good EQ pedal will get you there. Dirt is Dirt. It's all about the equalization.

Boost 100 & 250-ish Hz on a graphic EQ, Or get something like a Feed Me or Meatsmoke to get some thick natural lowend boostage.

Another approach would be to get a loop/blender pedal with an EQ in the loop. Maybe one of those digital Boss effects switchers could do it.

12. jw23mind

jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Try feeding the muff (or MDB-1) with the MXR (MXR>muff). Adjust the gain of the muff low enough that the character of the MXR still comes through but with the low end bump. I do this with my Rusty Box.

13. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    To me the title of this thread screams Volt Thrower. Huge low end.

jw23mind likes this.
  14. jw23mind

jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Yup, that too!

15. Darkglass is great. All of them. With the eq options, you should be able to dial in as much roar as you could ever want.

16. I was debating this as well

17. I agree totally, I only have room for one pedal though. Real estate is very tight