1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Distortion with blend

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the low one, Oct 31, 2010.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Having a blend on a distortion always seems like a good idea and it is but how best to use it?

Too much clean and you get separation between the clean and dirty sounds. Too little clean and you may as well have all distortion.

I use the MXR M80 and have been gradually turning the blend more towards distortion recently, from 9:00 to 12:00 to give me around a 50/50 ration between clean and dirty. Yes you lose a little bottom end but you can just turn the level up a bit and I find the distortion itself cuts through better.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's always and forever just a case of "whatever sounds best to you". There is no other standard.

The one caveat IMO is that some dirts blend well, other poorly; and some dirts benefit from phase reversal of the blended channel, while others don't. IOW not all dirt-blending is the same.