Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by funkybish, Mar 3, 2001.

1. funkybish

funkybish

Mar 2, 2001
    Can anyone give me advice on a good pedal to get a dirty Larry Graham or Primus sound?

2. if im not mistaken i think Les Claypool of Primus uses a ElectroHarmonix Big Muff. you might oughtta check that out.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The Danelectro pedals also work pretty well, too. (The original ones, not the pocket-sized-named-after-food-kind.) Fab-tone = Distortion. Daddy-O = Overdrive.

4. I use a Danelectro Daddy-O with pretty good results. It has controld for lo, mid, hi, level, and distortion. Having the three tone controls is really nice. I use it with a 5 string (low B) and it handles the lows with no problems. And it's built like a tank.
    My only problem with it is that the pots (nobs) are a little too close together for my fingers. O well. Otherwise, it's a pretty good pedal.

5. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Try looking into Fulltone Bassdrive.....kinda pricey but the killer sound. Dual stage OD/Dist.....and it does not jeopardize your bass tone. And it has true bypass! I used both the Danelectro's for a while....and dumped them when I got Fulltone. Next to the SWR Interstellar Overdrive it is the best.
    Max

6. The Bassdrive is a nice pedal.. I'd also recommend trying out a Zvex Wooly Mammoth if you can find one. There's a store near here that I hope to get out to in the near future to try the Fulltone Bassdrive and Wooly Mammoth out side by side.

The upcoming bass overdrive from EBS also has a lot of potential... last I heard it was coming out in June or so.

7. I'll second the bassdrive. Sounded good through an Eden Metro and has two channels of distortion.

8. Actually, I believe Les Claypool uses some sort of limiter to level out his sound and cranks his amps up to get the natural overdrive... now for that fuzz sound he uses at the beginning of John the Fisherman, a Big Muff or even a Boss Overdrive can do the trick rather well... (but remember he also uses his tremolo)

9. i really wish electroharmonix would take the distortion from bassballs and make it into its own pedal, without the envelope filter. it's so smooth and ballsy.

10. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Is there any big difference tbetween overdrive,distortion and fuzz?