Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xxajr8xx, Aug 31, 2005.

1. xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    i was wondering if anyone had advice about a good distortion pedal
    i was looking at one by digitech called Digitech XBD Bass Driver Overdrive Pedal i was wondering if it was anygood b/c i have no clue so..if you have suggestions or w/e plz respond
  2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You should look through the distortion mega thread at the top of the effects page. I hadn't seen it myself untill someone pointed it out.
  3. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Check the Distortion Megathread, it's stickied at the top of the Effects page. Should have all the info you need.

EDIT: Bah, I've been beaten to it!
  4. That thread is huge...im just gonna give u my advice here.

Distortion and overdrives i have owned:

USA Big muff reissue: paid $80 new. Thick and smooth fuzz, not gritty or open enuff for me, can get a bit muddy, not a terrible amount of low end loss

Russian Big muff (black): paid $45 new. Grittier and dirtier than the USA, a TINY bit less low end loss

Boss odb-3: paid $75 new. NOISY!, gets u that RHCP "around the world" sound (he DOES use that pedal...) but i found it just a hassle to have due to the rediculous amount of excess noise i got from it

Mesa Boogie V-1 overdrive preamp: paid $150 new. Thick and smooth, a bit of low end loss, versatile tones, but even MILD overdrive settings on it are harsh

Boss blues driver: paid $60 floor model. most low end loss ive ever encountered (combine w/ clean amp or a blended signal via a loooper and its not a problem), versatile overdrive pedal with a creamy smoothness and nice trebley characteristics - my overdrive of choice in conjunction w/ envelope filters

HAO Rust Ride: paid $135 new. muddy on a lot of settings, not too versatile, can nail that svt amp on 11 tone though...direct signal output makes up for the low end loss big time

HomeBrew Electronics Big-D: paid $190 new. best overdrive/distortion pedal i have ever encountered, period. 5 different diodes, hard/soft clip selector, "bigger" gain boost stomp switch w/ corresponding dial, retains a rediculous amount of low end (thats w/ the tone knob on 0, as u dial in higher settings on tone, u get more bass, as opposed to more treble, which REALLY can beef up the signal...my tone knob hovers between 7:00 (off) and 10:00 and i lose NO bass)...mild grit to thick fuzz and everything in between

Marshall guvnor original: paid $80 used on ebay. my newest addition, very very nice overdrive pedal, a bit of low end loss (i use a 3 amp system ala timmy c, so i dont worry about it), not muddy at all, can be smooth and warm or beefy, open and gritty...if u want a timmy c tone, this or the HBE Big-D would be the route to go

EHX Black Finger compressor: paid $200 new. serious tube grit is gotten by cranking the pregain knob on this. no low end loss. thick, warm, and a bit gritty. wonderful pedal

Boss cs-2 comp/sustain: paid $75 each used on ebay. i own 2. It gives a bit of compression and some mild warmth/distortion. a bit of low end loss, but nothing that a TINY tweak of the bass knob on ur amp/preamp wont fix, i keep them both on most of the time (thank u juan from mars volta for the inspiration to try them out...really nails the tone from the frances the mute cd)

Crowther Audio Prunes and Custard: paid $180 new. NOT a distortion or overdrive, so much as a really UNIQUE sounding fuzz. very synthy and gritty. with the mix knob dialed out, and drive on max, sounds like very synthy distortion. I use it when my band covers Muse songs mostly. no low end loss.

Boss sd-1: borrowed from my guitarist for a bit. i recorded with it a bit for some overdubs. lots of low end loss, tone is somewhere inbetween creamy and warm and moderately gritty. easy to use, but nothing special about it

Pedals in my near future:

I am building a copy of a Maestro Brassmaster (with a few small modifications)...I will get pics and review of it up when it is finished. cost: about $125 in parts and some solder burns in labor

I recently played on a Morley chrome fuzz wah. The wah was terrible IMO, but the fuzz was amazing. Not much low end loss. I plan on buying one and gutting it to turn it into a simple fuzz stomp box w/o the wah...we'll see when i can get around to that.

I hope this helped u out. as far as the digitech XBD, i havnt really ever used one, but from when ive heard them, they didnt sound too impressive to me.
  5. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    why not mod the wah?????

for me, the best OD is so far the tonebone classic from radial, a bit expensive, but reaally worth it, is has a sound like the gu'vnor but wayyy more open and natural sounding, plus, the active bass boosts can give you huge amounts of lows, ex-ce-lent!
  6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I recently achieved a thrillingly-good distortion - I mean I can't believe how full and powerful and expressive and unique it is.

I got it by going: Peavey bass > Boss CS-3 > Aphex Bass Xciter > Boss ODB-3. I'm running T.I. Jazz Flat strings, which IS a part of the 'trick', I think...

I'm tellin' ya: an ODB alone doesn't sound anything like THIS...

Now this is the same pedals and order as a sound that I reported in in a recent thread, but different settings (I got a couple hours to work on it some more last night):

I don't remember the settings right now, but once I write'em down, I suppose I'll post it over there..

7. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    If you want distortion try a Digitech "Hot head" or "Hot rod", the Hot ROD can sound a bit fuzz like when having high settings/cranked gain/morph. If i wanted a dist pedal i would choose the Hot HEAD.

If you want overdrive try the Digitech Bad monkey! I got one myself soon, the one i tried blew me away!
  8. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey, I wonder if it's possible to keep the fuzz, get rid of the wah, but use the footpedal as a blend pot -- that way your foot dials in the amount of fuzz you want to add to the clean bass signal. I know nothing about modding, so I don't know if this is even possible, but it would be cool!
  9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes it WOULD!

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  11. uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Any chance to hear your setup? Possible for you to make a recording or two? :hyper: would like to hear that tone hehe

Thanks in advance!
  12. Hello,

I'm currently renting a Digitech Bass Driver, and I've only had it a day. Here's my review so far...

I'm actually quite impressed with it, which is significant because I usually hate most overdrive/distortion pedals. I've tried millions and hated them all.

Personally, I think it's better for distortion/fuzz than light or medium overdrive. So far I've found a couple useable settings with it, based on the sound samples on the Digitech website (sorry, I don't have them with me). The distortion and fuzz settings are somewhat warm and smooth (at least with a Geddy Jazz). The blend knob is useful, as it does allow the dry signal through.

I've yet to find an overdrive setting that I like, but I've only had a day. I think for light overdrive, or tube-like overdrive, I would use a Sansamp BDDI.

I'll probably buy one, if I don't end up with a Big Muff. The Muff is another that I like, although it's more of a fuzz. I was going to split the signal between the Muff and the dry signal (see "Good 2-4 Channel Mixer" thread).

Hope that helps,

13. xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    thanks for all your help :D