distressor, dbx160a, rnc, marcus, wooten

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by csapoa, Jun 8, 2004.

1. csapoa

Feb 22, 2004
    Can you tell the difference between the sound of these compressors? I will buy one of them, becouse these are said to be the best for bass, but i don't now wich.

Forex. Marcus Miller uses distressor live, and dbx160a for studio work. Why?

What does Victor Wooten uses? In his website there is nothing about compress his sound, but i think he has one of the most compressed sound. (Or maybe i'm wrong?) How does he do it? With his hands? I don't think so.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like the dbx 160A because it has three knobs and a couple buttons. I don't know how the sound compares to the others you listed, but a lot of folks use them, both live, and in the studio.
  3. jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    The last time I saw Wooten live, unless he had a pedal compressor, there was no compression of any sort in his rack...
  4. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Every listing of Marcus' gear I've seen has said he uses a DBX 160, which is a very different animal from the 160A. Studio engineers tend to thumb their noses at the contemporary 160A, but love the 160, which is a "classic" (and v. exp) unit.
  5. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Distressors kick ass. close to triple the price, but damn if you are considering one, I would say go for it. Definately a batter comp than a 160, and I love 160's. Distressors have way more control and you can dial in some 3rd order harmonics, which can really add to a tone. IMHO of coarse.