Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

distressor, dbx160a, rnc, marcus, wooten

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by csapoa, Jun 8, 2004.

1. csapoa

csapoa

Feb 22, 2004
    Can you tell the difference between the sound of these compressors? I will buy one of them, becouse these are said to be the best for bass, but i don't now wich.

Forex. Marcus Miller uses distressor live, and dbx160a for studio work. Why?

What does Victor Wooten uses? In his website there is nothing about compress his sound, but i think he has one of the most compressed sound. (Or maybe i'm wrong?) How does he do it? With his hands? I don't think so.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like the dbx 160A because it has three knobs and a couple buttons. I don't know how the sound compares to the others you listed, but a lot of folks use them, both live, and in the studio.

3. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    The last time I saw Wooten live, unless he had a pedal compressor, there was no compression of any sort in his rack...

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Every listing of Marcus' gear I've seen has said he uses a DBX 160, which is a very different animal from the 160A. Studio engineers tend to thumb their noses at the contemporary 160A, but love the 160, which is a "classic" (and v. exp) unit.

5. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Distressors kick ass. close to triple the price, but damn if you are considering one, I would say go for it. Definately a batter comp than a 160, and I love 160's. Distressors have way more control and you can dial in some 3rd order harmonics, which can really add to a tone. IMHO of coarse.