1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Distressor dillema

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by luca, Nov 16, 2006.

1. luca

luca

Nov 22, 2005
    EU
    1. I have an old symetrix 501 (VP VCA) compressor. A much more expensive distressor will make a big difference in a live situation? Should I buy one for my rig?
    2. The British option has any use for bass guitar?
    Thank you guys!

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Although the EL Distressor is widely admired in studio use, it is so expensive that almost no bass players have them in their live rigs. You might want to ask Fletcher at Mercenary Audio about the British option or any other mods.

My personal opinion is that in a live stage setting, the audience cannot tell the difference between "decent" gear and super-high-end gear, so it's not worth the expense.

3. luca

luca

Nov 22, 2005
    EU
    Thanks bongomania :)
    What do you think about my symetrix? What do you think I should use? I usualy play in very good conditions (our own PA system is Martin Audio line array, and we have always our mixer, our periphery, our backline multicore, monitors, no matter what rental does the sound at one moment) Xcuse my english :)

4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Symetrix makes really good basic gear. Nothing wrong with them. If you want to try something different, are you looking for more clarity? More squishy character? More warmth? More treble or bass?