Distributed Computing

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Surgeon, May 9, 2005.

1. I was just wondering how many folks here also put their PCs to work on distributed computing projects? For those of you not familiar with the term DC refers to taking a project that requires computer power, breaking it into small bits, distributing it to personal computers all over and then having the results returned. It basically turns the WWW into a supercomputer.

There is an article coming out in Science this month about DC and since most the folks around here seem to be pretty comfortable with a computer I was just wondering how many of you participate.

I currently run Seti@Home and have for years and there are a bunch of other projects out there. (Read--BIG Nerd!) :D

If you're not familiar with DC here is a link for you.
    TeAm Anandtech Distributed Computing Page

Thanks for responding.
  2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I used to run three networks with Seti@Home, then I got lazy :).
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I used to run Seti, but don't anymore. I am however involved in a Linux cluster project, which involves essentially the same concept. We're doing neural network simulations. It would be better to have a dedicated array, but trying to get time on any of the NatLabs machines is worse than pulling teeth. So we did the next best thing, which is to appropriate a PC cluster for the computational pieces. The tricky part is not so much in the computations though, it's in the storage of the results. High-volume storage is an art form that's still in its infancy. :)
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'd argue that EFFICIENT high volume storage is an art form. I've managed arrays in the several hundred TB range before, can't say it was pretty, but it was certainly high volume. When I was contracting on the 2000 census we were pushing the 1 petabyte barrier near the end of the project :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  5. (scratches head) ....what they said..... :bag: