Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distribution of CDs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Aug 31, 2005.

1. My band just finished our EP (you can find a thread about it in recordings) and I'm looking to distribute it pretty far. I'd expect that Newburry comics would/could take it, since they're pretty much the biggest dealer on Indie tracks in NE.

One problem.

All of this has been DIY. From the production to studio time, to mastering, to the printing of the CDs (By that I mean, we're outsourcing it, but we're still paying for it out of our own pockets).

Are we pretty much F'd because we don't have a distributer, or is there a way to call up Newburry's and say "Will you take this?"

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Sign up for CDbaby, sell it online with the iTunes music store(and other music stores) Distribution problem is solved. Then you just have to get the word out. :p

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Or you could slap a "Limited Edition" sticker on it and jack up the price.

:bag:

4. those are good ideas, but I'm talking about how to actually get it in stores.

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Where's Music Attorney when you need him? He always popped up with advice to answer questions like these.

Whatever you do, be careful what you sign, even if it's only a distributor!

6. I didn't see anything on their web site other than a customer service contact. On the "about us" section it mentions that New Bury Comics are independently owned. So, I think you would have to talk to the manager at a particular location and see if you can sell your CD there. If so they will let you know the terms.

I would stop in and ask to talk to a manager, it is probably the only way to find out.

7. Hey, thanks Chunk O Funk. I think I'll do that.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    While I clearly see the reasons to wanting to have your EP available in actual stores. I think that ultimately, it makes a lot more sense to have it available online. Think about it. Independent EP of a band no one has heard of(no offense), If I'm at newbury comics, what are the chances that I'll actually hear your CD? Furthermore, where do you think I would have heard of your band in the first place? unless you're gigging a lot, I'd say 'the internet' and I'd probably be right. i=If you're gigging a lot, then I would expect you guys to be selling CDs at your shows where applicable, otherwise, it seems to me that the online model just makes a lot more sense.

I'm not saying you shouldn't put it in stores at all, but I would personally be putting more effort into setting up a way for people to purchase it online.

9. Kiefo, were gonna do both, most likely. And if I can't get it in stores, we're gonna have it availible online. So chill. We know we suck. ;)

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Oh, I'm not stressing, it's not my band :p

I was just wondering what your specific reasons for wanting it in a store were.

11. kinda a Pipedream, like the feeling of walking into a store and see a CD and go "Hey... that's my band."