1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ditch the Minx?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by r05c03, May 10, 2006.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Okay, so I just picked up a Peavey Mark IV Head and will have a cabinet for it soon. I have a Peavey Minx 110, and I am considering selling it so that I do not start stock piling gear the will just languish. At any rate, I have a nagging feeling that I should keep it. Especially for its Power Amp in/out / preamp out feature. The thing is I do not know exactly what I can do with this feature. Could I use the preamp go to a power amp and run a much larger cabinet. If so, damn, I should have just done that instead of going on a amp head hunt. Here is a description from the manaul regarding the function:

A stereo out/in jack is provided for line-in patching of effect devices from two amplifiers. A shielded 'Y' cord with a 1/4'' stero plug branching into two 1/4' mono plugs is required for this connection. The "tip" of the stereo plug routes the signal effects device input. The effects output is returned through the "ring". The "sleeve" is ground. The first click of this stereo jack can be used as a preamp output with out disturbing signal flow to the remainder of the system.

NOTE: if the second click is used without returning any signal to the system from an effects device the preamp will be disabled. The Preamp level is approx. 1 volt RMS and is high impedance (600 ohms). Any effects device used in this loop must be capable of recieving this 1 volt input and providing 1 volt in order to properly drive the power amp.

Would some one please enlighten me as to what I do with this piece of equipment so I can decide to ditch it or not? Could I use the first "click" to preamp into a PA?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You hold on to it, stick it in a closet, in a dark corner of the basement, whatever . . . and use it as a quick and dirty practice amp when your rig is at a rehearsal space or still in your car from the gig the night before, etc. etc.

Its value is that it is small and quick to use. Its value is NOT in its power amp out feature. :rolleyes:

3. A bass player that doesnt want to stock pile gear :eek:

4. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

+1 and the $ from the sale will probably dissipate quickly. The amp will not. Odds are someday you just may wish you had an amp like that and then it will probably cost you more.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

5. I am a frugal minimalist and hate the idea of having extra stuff around that I don't use, especially when I could get some $$$ for it while its still worth something. That being said....

I sold my first amp, a little Bassman 25, to upgrade to my louder, much heavier new amp. I have to tell you that it was a MISTAKE! I jam around town alot with different people, and it is a pain in the --- to lug my 65 lb beast around, so I basically don't, and end up bringing my old 15w Squier guitar amp instead....light, yes, but it sounds horrible and I always regret it! (actually, its no longer a problem, cause last time I did that I finally BLEW the speaker on it!! NOTE: BASS thru GUITAR amp is a NO-NO!)

I would wait awhile on it....put it aside for some time and see if you really do miss it (unless you REALLY need the money now!!)

6. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    I am hearing you. I was thinking of selling it to add $ to my pool for the nes cab. I will probably keep it, based on everyone opinion, it will still work well (and given it is a peavey for years to come), and my son can practice on it and do less sonic damage than if were plugged in to my Ampeg BA115HP.....However, I'd still really appreciate an explantion what I could do with the power amp I/O // preamp.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I bought one back in 1990 for use as an at home practice amp. It still works except for a noisy input jack. I'll keep it even though i replaced it with a Yorkville XM50.

They come in handy for teaching and something you can transport easily when you don't need to haul around your gig rig.

I added some acoustical batting to the inside of the cabinet and it improved the sound a lot. It even works very well for recording when miced up. Good vintage 60s sound. I've used mine on a number of sessions. You can push the input gain and back off the master and get a hint of grit in the sound.

8. My Minx is staying with me.

9. I've had a Minx (a previous-generation model with an 8" speaker) since the mid-'80s. It's a great home practice amp, and I've even used it for a stage monitor when running through the PA. I'd keep it.

10. Can't say anymore than has already been said: It's a great tiny practice amp or low to medium volume stage monitor. It's a keeper, IMO, and in my apartment, that's saying something.