Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ditch the Trace Elliot!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by THIRSTYGUMS, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Hi i need advice on my next purchase, i have the gp7- 7 band e.q. Trace 150 watt head (bought new about 4 years ago) and i need to upgrade to something with a fair bit more grunt... i have about 300 pounds to spend (almost $600) and want a head that offers an even balance between sound and value for money. What would anyone recommend?
    P.s. I love the sound of my Trace if thats an indication of my preferences, i like the look of the ashdowns and the warwicks, i dont mind solid state, tube/solid combination, or all tube...
    Please help! i know there are very many experienced players around here, and i value your opinions.. :hyper:

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    mesa boogie 400+

killer amp, 500 watts @ 2 ohms

run 2 8 10's

geah

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^For 300 pounds? =/ I duno if you could find that.

It's also 300 watts. The 500 watt is peak. If you like trace, you may not like some all tube amps as they're a pretty clean sounding amp. Ashdown is similar, a little warmer though and might be worth looking at.

If you like the sound of your Trace though, why not move up to a bigger trace? They're pretty cheap when you find them used. Trace Elliot is also back in business and being distributed by Peavey, though I have no idea on the cost of the amps..

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    If you love Trace, why change? There are alot of good deals on Ebay right now and British Audio Service has some sweet amps for sale.

Oh yea, there are two Trace heads for sale right here on TB. An RAH350SMX and a AH500 Series 6.

5. Ill point out that £300 basically = $300 when buying musical equipment, just because of things being generally more expensive over here :(

6. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Chances of getting a boogie 400+ for £300 - <0. Trace are brilliant but for £300 getting more power would be hard, a used GP12 SMX 300 would run to about £300 and that doesn't include a cab. I dunno, even a Hartke or Ashdown MAG rig is out of your reach, probably even Behringer. My advice would be to save up.

7. definatly, save up a few hundred more, opens alot more doors if you look in the right places and such, hell, i got my SVT II for £500 ;)

8. mohawk, i too live in the U.K. but worse than that jim i live in northern ireland, where you pay what the music stores want you to pay! i dont need a cab as i own a great 1x15 and can borrow a good 4x10 (my favourite combination) so i may just save up...
    I also want a couple rack units and a wireless too as i am starting to take my playing more seriously, and i am seriously considering buying the Behringer bx4500h...<p>(holy #### was that a brick that just flew by my head?!)<p> and keeping the Trace head for tone and using them in line... any feelings on that idea??? :ninja:
    <p>

p.s.<p>
    you a punk rocker or what? I just shaved my blue Mohawk off and i regret it :spit:

9. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    If you have £300 for a head only, get a Trace GP12 SMX 300. Those things are great and besides, Trace is pretty awesome tone, stomps Behringer or anything else in that price range. 300 watts RMS should be fine for you, my amp is 240 in it's current config and it is loud enough to annoy the neighbours a lot (in a fully detatched house!). Alternatley, get a Trace preamp and then buy a power amp to go with it, or just use your current combo as a pre then run the effects send into a power amp for more volume.

10. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
  11. The shops aint much better over here, i tend to go second hand as much as possible, mainly cus im a cheap bastard

my mohawks dying, its too long to spike up (well, its too long for me to be bothered spiking up) and ive not dyed it red again since febuary :p

12. I used to own an Eden WT-300, very nice amp. Lots of tone shaping features, and a fair amount of power for its size. I've seen WT-400's (the 300's big brother) go used for less than $600 USD.