1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ditching my B for a C

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dawgawd, Jul 15, 2001.

1. dawgawd

dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    Maine
    hey, I have a 5 string J Bass that I much enjoy, but my original plan to incorporate the B string into my playing hasn't really worked out. On the contrary, i've found myself wanting a higher string on the bottom. So what I was thinking about doing is stringing it EADGC. I'd probably get some 6 string strings for this and just ditch the B. My question was, will I encounter any problems with this? I was kind of worried about my nut, like, will the spaces be too big? beyond that, if anyone knows of any problems i would encounter with this, please let me know. thanks.

2. if the spaces are too big.. buy a 6-string nut, and cut off the B.. :)

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    There shouldn't be anything that you can't get past. You may notice a little buzzing, but the string tree should create enough downforce on the nut to keep it from rattling around. You'l just have to try it out.

Before you try a new nut, put a drop or two of superglue in the grooves and even it out along the walls of the nut grooves with a toothpick. The gel works best. The thin coat will fill in the grooves slightly. Just make sure you let it dry for a while before you put the strings back on. I have done this many times to fix worn nuts.

You other thing will be set up. You are going to significantly change the tension on the neck. Plan a long afternoon for a complete setup overhaul. Truss, action, intonation. The works.

4. I strung up my Zon Sonus 5 custom this way and loved it. It is very nice to have a different combination of possibilities. I spent a few hours with the setup, but I didn't need to do anything with the nut. Granted the grooves were slightly oversized, but it didn't make any difference. Good luck. I hope you have fun with it.

5. I did the switch on my Tobias with absolutely no modifications to the bass itself, and absolutely love it. I'll never go back to a low B (on that bass at least).

6. dawgawd

dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    Maine
    thanks for your help. I typicly do the bulk of my playing on the A, D, and G strings, and occaisionally I climb to points where I'd really appreciate a higher string down there. As soon as I can get to a music store I plan on trying to get the strings.