Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ditching my B for a C

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dawgawd, Jul 15, 2001.

1. dawgawd

dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    Maine
    hey, I have a 5 string J Bass that I much enjoy, but my original plan to incorporate the B string into my playing hasn't really worked out. On the contrary, i've found myself wanting a higher string on the bottom. So what I was thinking about doing is stringing it EADGC. I'd probably get some 6 string strings for this and just ditch the B. My question was, will I encounter any problems with this? I was kind of worried about my nut, like, will the spaces be too big? beyond that, if anyone knows of any problems i would encounter with this, please let me know. thanks.

2. if the spaces are too big.. buy a 6-string nut, and cut off the B.. :)

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    There shouldn't be anything that you can't get past. You may notice a little buzzing, but the string tree should create enough downforce on the nut to keep it from rattling around. You'l just have to try it out.

Before you try a new nut, put a drop or two of superglue in the grooves and even it out along the walls of the nut grooves with a toothpick. The gel works best. The thin coat will fill in the grooves slightly. Just make sure you let it dry for a while before you put the strings back on. I have done this many times to fix worn nuts.

You other thing will be set up. You are going to significantly change the tension on the neck. Plan a long afternoon for a complete setup overhaul. Truss, action, intonation. The works.

4. I strung up my Zon Sonus 5 custom this way and loved it. It is very nice to have a different combination of possibilities. I spent a few hours with the setup, but I didn't need to do anything with the nut. Granted the grooves were slightly oversized, but it didn't make any difference. Good luck. I hope you have fun with it.

5. I did the switch on my Tobias with absolutely no modifications to the bass itself, and absolutely love it. I'll never go back to a low B (on that bass at least).

6. dawgawd

dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    Maine
    thanks for your help. I typicly do the bulk of my playing on the A, D, and G strings, and occaisionally I climb to points where I'd really appreciate a higher string down there. As soon as I can get to a music store I plan on trying to get the strings.