1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ditching My SVT to go to a V4B.... Any downside to this swap?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BlacknWhite, Aug 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hey guys. I've been having ongoing issues with my 2007 SVT for months. It's crapped out on me at 3 shows now. Bought it "New" off the floor at the local music shop about 9 months ago. They have had it in a few times and for over a month a one point. Last night we were playing an out of town gig and I turned it on and POP! burning rubber smell..... New club professional stage and nothing else was running on the outlet. Thankfully we had a back up amp with us. Anyways I told the shop I want my money back as I will never be able to trust this thing again. I was originally going to get another SVT but then I got looking at the V-4B. I like the fact that it is half the weight and has the option to use single 8 ohm cabs as well. It's obviously 100w compared to the SVT 300w but do you need 300w tube heads anymore? Any thoughts from anyone who has had either or both of these cabs would be great. Thanks again guys.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I love the V4B and find it to be plenty of volume for my needs. YMMV. Sorry about your SVT. You got one that was made during the transition from SLM to LOUD, and those first two years of that transition were quite shaky since they had an idiot in charge who just didn't care about anything but money. They got rid of him in 2008, though, and corrected a lot of his mistakes.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Hopefully a helpful hint
    Any amp, any brand, any kind of guts, if it craps out on you - turn it off an get it serviced.
    If an amp is going to fail, it is highly likely it would within it's warranty period.
    Go get it fixed at the factory.
    If you can, pull out your cell phone and take a video to show the tech how it failed. Like if it only fails when warmed up.

Caution Car analogy: Buy a new car, gas, electric, or hybrid, if it craps out on you get it serviced ;) Hear an odd noise? See crazy dash panel display? Have your passenger pull out a phone and record it quickly so the tech can use it as part of the diagnosis.

pudgychef likes this.
  4. What do you think of the re issue V4B? Is that what you are using or do you have an original? I have the opportunity to get an original. Do the originals have an 8 ohm setting or is that new?

5. I've had it in to a licensed Ampeg tech going on 3 times now. I have no more time to mess around with this thing lol.

6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The V4BR is a very reliable amp. It's much easier to maintain and work on. A retube is way more affordable than an SVT.

I don't blame you for not having confidence in your SVT-CL. But I wouldn't blame the amp, there are a lot of SVT's out there performing yeoman's service.

With three returns in a month, the problem is your tech. I'd find someone else to work on your amps.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The originals did have 8-4-2 ohm capability. Mine is a newer one from 2013, one of the very first batch, but I used to have a 72 or 73 V4B when I was younger. Never got to compare a new with an old directly, but to me, they might as well be the same heads.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Get a new one. It is hassle free and comes with a warranty.

With a vintage model, you are taking on a lot of potential issues. Vintage amps need to be serviced and brought up to spec. That can cost.

The vintage has an impedance selector switch that allows you to choose 8, 4, or 2 ohms. The reissue has jacks for 8, 4, or 2 ohms. This is better than the switch.

9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

A V4B is all you'll ever need in the tone or power department IMO. Especially today now that there's FOH.

I've played Ampeg for most of the time I've been playing. And my takeaway is that the only thing you need to decide when buying an Ampeg is how big you need it to be. Because Ampeg delivers their iconic sound across their entire product line. You don't need to buy their top of the line flagship amp to get it.

10. Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated as always!

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Good show :)
    I usually end up quoting a "Lemon Law" when something goes to warranty service a few times.

Michael Schreiber likes this.
  12. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Ive been contemplating doing this switch too. I love my SVT but its pretty much overkill for my needs. I have been seriously thinking about selling and going to a VB4 so Ill keep my eyes on this thread.

13. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma

I've gone back and forth a few times. Had an SVT-CL, got a vintage V4, traded it for a vintage SVT, picked up another V4, now I usually run either a science mother (200W) or the V4. Rarely bring out the SVT. I like the 2/4/8 ohm flexibility of the V4, but between that and an SVT you can cover basically all the same sonic territory. The V4 to me sounds a little more hifi, both have the same baxandall/active mid preamp so they're flat at noon with a good range of eq options. Some people can't get along with 100 watts but with an efficient cab I've never wanted for volume running my V4.

14. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    What cab are you running? I have a reissue v4b and a 2001 svt av. I love my svt but its pretty much overkill for any of the venues in portland so i end up using the v4b more. Its also much lighter that a svt. It also only takes 1 person to lift onto an 8x10. I can lift the svt onto an 8x10 it just wasnt easy.

Michael Schreiber and shadven like this.
  15. BassIsBoss

BassIsBoss

Jun 25, 2007
    Nova Scotia
    I was playing my B25b (55 huge watts of power) through a 210 cab at a club date recently. The band leader told me to turn down, 'cause it was too loud. I said, yeah, it's an Ampeg.....what a blissful tone.

Tbone76, elkkid2, RedVee and 2 others like this.
  16. Does it need to be Ampeg?

17. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    my vintage v4b was reliable :smug:, cough cough

18. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    I've contemplated this same switch... I have an AV SVT- beautiful amp in beautiful condition, but yes also overkill.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Who else makes a V4B?

:D

20. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble SUSPENDED

Mar 8, 2010
    I too have been wanting an all-tube Ampeg -- I've got the rare-as-hen's-teeth SVT-5 PRO (A/B) and am quite happy with it's versatility -- it has two channels, one quite clean, the other capable of wild overdrive, with the ability to mix the two channels, but also an "SVT"setting to get the classic "baked in" sound. So the amp is pretty versatile.

I'm leaning toward the VB4 but am leery about warnings that it doesn't have the self-bias feature, an upgrade which many say alone is worth the price of admission for an SVT. Anyone agree or disagree?

If I buy a VB4 now and use it lightly, how many years from now am I apt to need to retube? Or rather, how soon is the bias issue likely to become an issue? I've got a Fender Twin Reverb I've ridden hard since 2003, and the original tubes sound better to my ear than ever.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017