1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dittersdorf?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by futurebass77, Sep 20, 2008.

1. futurebass77

futurebass77

Aug 2, 2007
    Hey guys,

I am close to college auditions and i am still deciding on what concerto to play. my teacher and i have been working on dragonetti since around march, but he wants me to work on dittersdorf. is dittersdorf a good piece to play for auditions, or should i stick w/ dragonetti? Any help appreciated

With regards, Martin

2. pat1151

pat1151

Jun 22, 2004
    Montreal, Quebec
    Hi Martin,

In the end, it is your teacher's opinion which matters the most.
    I'll tell you what I think anyway.

I would think that the Dragonetti would be a better choice for your audition piece because you have been playing it for much longer. When you get to the audition, you will be nervous enough, and I think it would be best to play something that you know inside out rather than something that is relatively new to you especially for an audition.

3. Dbass926

Dbass926

Jun 20, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    +1 on above. Plus, there's no points for difficulty. In other words, you won't be rewarded because you took on a harder piece. I can say for sure that Hal Robinson would rather hear Dragonetti played excellently than Dittersdorf played very well, and I would stake a lot on other teachers feeling the same way.

4. BMason

BMason

Oct 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Play something that compliments what you do well. Don't show them what you can't do.

5. JayR

JayR

Nov 9, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, if it was me, I'd play Dragonetti. I used it (along with the bourees from the third Bach suite) for my undergrad auditions and it worked out very well for me. If you can already play it well, it'll probably be a lot more impressive than if you did Dittersdorf. It may not be the most musical piece, but it certainly is a good vehicle for showing off whatever flashy chops you have.

Take all that with a grain of salt, though, because I hate Dittersdorf and everything it stands for. Verily, it is a blight on humanity.

6. BHurn

BHurn

Sep 29, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm supposing you are inclining the standard Dragonetti (in A) and Dittersdorf (in E) and in all honesty, would say to pick Dragonetti. Dragonetti has a more melodic flow and sounds better w/o accompaniment. Dittersdorf does have a cadenza which you could use to add your own taste and flavor and really show what makes you unique.

This is from the perspective of a 15 year old though, so I think you may have more experience in the collegiate audition process. Good luck on your audition!

7. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    If you have the choice I'd choose the Dragonetti. Dittersdorf is nice... but you learn much more from Dragonetti (which I like the melody, even if it is a bunch of scales better) than you will Dittersdorf.

The piece is to cheesey to me... I don't know, drives me crazy. I played it a long time ago, and I was happy when it was over. To cheesey.