1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ditto v Ditto x2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mosfed, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    So before you flame me - yes I did a search function and yes I read all the threads available on both.

But amazingly no one really answered my question, so I thought I would ask it...

I do very simple looping - and really only in one project that I am working with. I am currently using a Boss RC-2 that while functional has a number of things that have begun to bother me. The main thing is that I don't think it sounds that great, that it's not very smart (often it can't figure out what to delete or undo) and not the most stage friendly looper. I seem to be constantly leaning over and fiddling instead of playing - and that is a pain in the arse.

So I'd like to get a new looper - my main concerns are simplicity, fidelity and ease of use. Cash is a secondary concern. Size is pretty important too.

So I've narrowed down to the Ditto and Ditto x 2. I read all the threads and yet I wasn't really able to decide between the two of them from those threads.

The FX on the X2 are meaningless to me. At least right now. Maybe I will think differently in a few months but for now meaningless. The 24 bit audio in the x2 - what does the normal Ditto have? Does anyone know?

If the X2 is 24 bit, uncompressed and the normal Ditto is not AND it has a dedicated stop/erase footswitch that sells me on it right there.

For those of you who have both - is the X2 overkill or do its features really come in handy? To those of you who bought a Ditto over the X2 - why?

Many many thanks.

blindrabbit likes this.
  2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-looper/

this should answer your 24 bit question...it says that the ditto does 24 bit...:)

...something that I would quite like would be a reverse funktion so you can play the looks backwards.

Mosfed likes this.
  3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals

Thanks bud

This is where your personal experience will be vital to my decision -

How much more user friendly is the dedicated stop /erase button?

Because for me - the loop fx are a gimmick, the backing track capability is cool but not totally essential, the internal dip switch change is not needed and batteries aren't important to me.

So it really comes down to:

Is the dedicated stop/erase button worth the extra cash and real estate on the board?

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I don't need/ want any extra fx either...not at all.
    Neither do I want batteries.
    For my needs, I think the ditto is near perfect...if it had a reverse function it would be on point exactly.
    I can live without that however and am quite sure that I'll have a dito in the nearer future.
    :)

5. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    If you spare as much board real estate as me, and only need a simple loop function, go with the first ditto. I find it easy to use and it does exactly what I need it to.

6. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Thanks fellas your help is most appreciated.

7. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I have the Ditto 1. Its a cool. I have to admit that I dont use it often. But when I do Im glad I have it. It is tricky to get the timing of the loop down when you first get it, to me it was anyway, but once you do that, its cake. It functions as it should and is as simple as you can get. And small. I mostly use it for checking my house sound during sound check. Works realyl well for that. I never thought of using it for live performance or a song, my guitarist uses loopers a lot because hes the only guitarist, but I havent ruled it out yet. Its quite the handy little tool. And it sounds great. Ive thought about selling it for some time now but I end up not being able to bring myself to it. Its just a valuable tool to have in my arsenal. Plus it helps me practice my soloing! ;)

8. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I have both and am currently in the process of reviewing the X2 for smartbassguitar.com. For me, the dedicated stop footswitch is completely worth it. I don't care much for the effects, but for making loops (you can save them too) it can be pretty cool.

The only real downside for me is size - it's pretty big. I'm willing to make the space sacrifice for the convenience though.

blindrabbit likes this.
  9. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Thanks to all of you

I just ordered the x2 for a few reasons. First - and mainly - the dedicated footswitch is gold. I have an RC-2 at the moment and I keep on messing up with the one footswitch. I am sure it's just because I am clumsy but whatever. I am willing to accept the larger size for that.

And second - my partner in this new project was able to convince me that the ability to store loops would be really helpful for him. If I can give him loops after we do them, he can plan much better and figure out his parts better. But that brings up a question - how many loops can you store at one time? If you erase the backing tracks does that give you more room?

Then I also spent some time this morning looking at my pedal board and am I right to assume that the size of the Ditto 2x is basically the size of a Darkglass B7K? It's not any larger than that is it? If that's the case, I have more than enough room on my board to handle it.

Many many thanks. As always your help is MOST MOST appreciated.

blindrabbit likes this.