1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ditto X4 looper: anyone have vids?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Marial, Jun 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I just picked up a Ditto x4 looper and I'm not having much luck finding videos of bassists using them. There's one of Quentin Barry but it's pretty bare bones, and one with Nathan East. Anyone else using one that's made any videos?

Thanks!

2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Just curious---it seems like this is one class of pedal where guitar demos should be just fine as they will show signal fidelity and features. Why do you need to hear how it sounds on bass?

nshuman and blindrabbit like this.
  3. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Different tonal ranges. I'm looking for examples of bass-specific application. The guitar vids, as you say, are fine for getting examples of how it works, but I would prefer to see how other bassists are using it.

4. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Would any bass looping video work for you then? I guess I'm just trying to wrap my mind around why you need to hear this specific looper in a bass context. Are you skeptical that it retains tonal fidelity in the low end? Do you want to hear its specific looping effects (half speed, etc.) on bass?

I'm probably sounding more skeptical than I mean to be. Obviously, the best thing would be to hear the instrument you want through the pedal you're looking at. But in the context of loopers specifically, it seems like you could piece together the information you need through other means, as it's not really the same as, for example, seeing if an overdrive retains the low end. So I'm just curious if you can articulate what it is that you can't get from videos of bass on other loopers (to hear bass in a looping context) or guitar on this looper (to hear its features, etc.).

5. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Not sure if I can articulate it any better than I have. I would like to see examples of bassists using the X4 looper because it is the same looper I have. I love Steve Lawson's videos but his set up is completely different, for instance, and because the tonal range of the bass is different, and my use of the pedal will likely be different from, say, an ambient guitarist, again, I'd like to see a bassist using the X4. If you're familiar with the X4 then you know it has built in effects as well as switches on the back panel that change function. I'd like to see how another bassist utilizes them.

I see your questions being similar to asking why I would want to see a bassist using a SolidGoldFX Beta when I could get similar information about OD/Fuzz by watching a guitarist use a Rat or DK Vintage Microtubes.

And yes, I certainly could piece things together from multiple sources (in fact, that's what I've been doing), along with exploring the pedal on my own.

6. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    No, my question is explicitly not that, as I mentioned. Something which is affecting the tonal character more than a looper will (or should be), I totally understand. I just feel like a looper is a unique case, as in most looping it should be transparent. So once you are assured of transparency, you can hear features via other means/instruments.

However, I do understand your question better if you are saying that you want to hear those on-board effects on bass. That makes more sense. I was trying to help in my own way, sorry if it ultimately wasn't that helpful. Good luck in finding what you're looking for.

7. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Thank you, but no, it wasn't helpful at all. It's a simple request - just looking for examples of other bassists using the same pedal I have. It doesn't sound like you know of any, but thank you.

8. mistergyro

mistergyro Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2011
    man, that was weird.

9. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Seriously.

10. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    For ****'s sake, mods, please just delete the thread.

11. Both the Google machine and the YouTube search function are remarkably effective. Type in "Ditto X4 bass" and you get some impressive results:

This is not to mention the dozens of other videos out there using single and double Dittos which are going to sound exactly the same as the X4, like these:

Along with any other Ditto videos with any other instrument, be it guitar or others.

Additionally, the comparison drawn to an overdrive pedal is spurious, since they emphasize or de-emphasize different frequency ranges. As per TC's manual for the device, "TC Electronic designed Ditto Looper with guitar and bass players in mind".

Pretty straightforward stuff. If those videos (and the other ones out there) don't give you enough help, then this is probably a pedal you need to try out in store, which shouldn't be that stuff given that TC stuff is mainstream and readily accessible.

Best of luck with your exploration. Be sure to post a review and video back here of your own experiences. :)

mrwood4, BIG97BEN, Noylin and 2 others like this.
  12. Somnambulance

Somnambulance

Jun 6, 2014
    Whao dude, what's a google machine?

blindrabbit and nshuman like this.
  13. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW

Those demos are not using my bass, cables, pedals, amp though. Can you find some with those specific parameters?

BIG97BEN and Somnambulance like this.
  14. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
  15. Mosfed

Mosfed Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Come on dude - it's much easier just to rip on Adam for asking a perfectly relevant question than to just google it...

16. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    #1: I mentioned the Quintin Berry and Nathan East vids in the very first post. I do, in fact, know how to use Google.
    #2: The others aren't using the X4 except for one.
    #3: I asked a very simple question, but I guess it's true what they say, no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.
    #4: It's apparently much easier to question and/or rip an OP than to either provide a helpful answer or move along if one doesn't have one.

What the hayzoos jumping novaselic...

Somnambulance likes this.
  17. Mosfed

Mosfed Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Personally I preferred the Mel Brooks' version

blindrabbit and Marial like this.
  18. Mosfed

Mosfed Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    And apologies - if I had a video I would post it.

Marial likes this.
  19. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    It's all good, but damn... I usually have pretty congenial interactions here and this has me scratching my head. I thought I was on a recording forum for second or two.

20. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I am really, really not upset or intentionally trying to be difficult, I just had a different perspective on it that I was trying to explore. If you thought I was being rude or arguing for the sake or arguing then I am genuinely sorry.

blindrabbit likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020