1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ditto X4 Midi Sync

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassplayer9512, Jan 18, 2020.

1. bassplayer9512

bassplayer9512 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I just got my Ditto X4 in the mail a couple days ago along with midi cable to link up with my Roland Tr-8. I am having some issues with the Ditto almost sounding like it rushes the length of the loop depending on the scale used on the Roland.

Anyone using this set up or having issues with the Ditto and a drum machine?

2. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Hi did you figure out the problem with the Ditto X4 sync? I'm considering getting an X4 and want to do the same thing - use MIDI sync with my Alesis SR16.

3. bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    It was me not having one of the dip switches set properly. Total user error. I always turn my device running my midi clock on first then connect power to my ditto. Always works that way and the couple times I have turned my TR-8 on after ditto has power there is no issue.

4. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Thanks for followup.

How does the unit sync to the MIDI clock? Does it basically round off the pedal click to the nearest beat? Do you need to click just before the beat you want to start/stop the loop? If you click too early or too late, does it sometime interpret your (for example) 8-beat input as a 9-beat one?

Never used a looper before but this one looks like it can do what I want to do. Only downside is it apparently doesn't let you store multiple loops for each input (such as separate chorus/verse loops). But it looks like it does almost everything the Pigtronix Infinity looper can do but at half the price. I really need the multi-output synced capability that both of these do. Planning to run my drum machine with its own amp, synced to the looper, then loop bass to bass amp on Ch1 and guitar to guitar amp on Ch2. Should help me to work out some composition ideas without recording.

5. bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    As long as you are close it seems to sync up pretty smoothly. Definitely a little learning curve but this was my first looper and it is for sure my last one I'll ever need too.

skycruiser likes this.
  6. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    After a couple of months what do you think of the Ditto X4? I just picked one up last week and still trying to figure out all its quirks. I don't think the user manual provides nearly enough information. One example: pressing the STORE/LEVEL switch down and turning the volume knob is supposed to set the volume of the backing track. Simple right? Well, what it actually does is set the MAX volume of the backing track, but the volume of the backing track will still adjust you turn the knob in normal operation. This was really confusing to me at first and it took me a couple of minutes to figure out what was going on. There have been a few times where I wasn't what a button press will do - lights blinking etc. I think it will take me awhile to get it all straightened out. I'm taking notes and will update my copy of the manual I guess.

Mine syncs perfectly with the drum machine, so no problems there. I guess the switches are in the correct position.

7. bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Still love mine. I run my bass and my Korg Monologue into it and absolutely love the set up and it's the perfect add on to my TR-8 beat making station.

skycruiser likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2020