Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Diverting some anxiety via TB.....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by DirtDog, Mar 30, 2004.

1. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    ...I got asked on short notice to fill in on bass for a gig with a buddy's rock cover band this coming weekend.

I've spent the last few years playing with two versions of the same band and have reheased the tunes we play dozens if not hundreds of times before hitting the stage.

This time, I've played along to a compiled CD for about 6 hours total and we hit the stage this Friday with no full band practice beforehand. I know the drummer socially but have never even jammed with him, let alone play with the entire band. Also, I've been playing blues pretty much exclusively for a few years and the rock stuff is "new" to me on bass.

I know that this may seem trivial, but I can help feeling more anxious than usual despite being prepared and confident. :meh:

As usual, it'll probably be a great learning experience with little or no downside as we'll be playing to a drunk audience in a redneck bar.

DD

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Which one, which one? ;)

How many sets is this? If it's just one or two, ok... but learning a full night's worth of songs in a week with no rehearsals is tricky work. Bring cheat sheets listing the key and chord progressions of each song just in case. If all else fails, cheat and look at the guitarist's hands :D

I'm sure it'll be lots of fun! I assume the elbow is doing better?

Cheers!

3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Band's name is "3 Guys and a Drummer" and the gig is at the Phoenix in BrockVegas....it's more a tongue-in-cheek revenue generator for some local starving musicians....and too far of drive for you to come and mock me....;-)

It's a full night - 3 full sets of 12-15 tunes. I know most of these on guitar but transposing the music to bass is challenging. Most of the tunes you have heard on CHEZ106 at least a million times over the last decade and have been played over and over at pretty much any O'Toole's Roadhouse there ever was. The trickiest tune that I have to play is "blister in the sun".

I've got my mongo version of the set list - set order, name, key, feel, starting note(s), tempo, arrangement, misc. performance notes that'll help guide me through. I won't be having too many pints on the first night so that I will be able to read my notes.

I'm sure that my anxiety is misplaced, but this is the first time doing this..... :help:

Elbow is doing better - got on the bike over the weekend and was able to ride for an hour. Still not 100% yet - almost a year later.

Never did get lessons lined up with you, but I did spend some time with Jazzbo's chord and scale theory lessons, on your recommendation. And here I am playing cheesy rock covers for beer money!

DD/Fraser

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    You'll do fine - those kinds of gigs sound a lot harder than they are, especially if most of the tunes are the same genre.

The notes will be all you need. It's surprising how much will come back on the spot, simply from that!

We all have to have another meet sometime...

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Thanks man! I'm up for a meet, but we should make it more than stand around with beers in hand for 15 minutes between sets....I'd like to actually play with a few of the lads....and check out all the gear!

DD

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    That sounds good to me... we should set it up sometime for sure. :)

7. mybluespector

mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    I have done a couple sub gigs! i to this point will never do another! Unless it is good music! I have a easy time with jazz bands or somthing interesting! But its the boring modern rock stuff that trips me up! Cause the songs r so much alike and so boring o me! And a week sucks man! Just yeah take cheats and a small media player with all the songs on there so before each trip up to stage you can take a listen and remind you of what order the bands play e,a,d in the song! LOL