Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dividing the signal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dadodetres, Feb 21, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    ok, imagin i want to divide the signal of my bass in 2, so i can work on my sound,

i can divide the siganl with my sansamp, that has a parale output, but i have only one AMP. shpuld i use apther amp for the effect siganal? maybe i can get a guitar amp, and turn down the low end,

or i can use both inputs on the preamp (soon to be a SWR grrand prix). maybe other choice can be use the effect return for signal number 2, and then balance it with the effect mix

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Just use 2 effect loops. You can even put the preamp in one of the loops if you wish.
    I see a Boss LS-2 in your future. :)

3. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    if i cant get the LS-2, would the sansamp be a good idea?

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    how does it exaclty the LS-2 works?

5. Jazz Ad

A SansAmp won't divide the signal the way you want to.
    The LS-2 (or a Loooper with parallel option) will allow 2 different soundchains.

6. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    so i make 2 different effect chains in the the effect loops on the pedal? and then what?

7. Jazz Ad

Uh, then it's the answer to the question you asked ? :)

8. Sounds like you may want either a stereo setup or to be able to blend your clean, uneffected bass signal with an effected one before your preamp.

If you want a true stereo setup, you'll need another preamp. You can split your signal from your Sansamp, send the Left to one preamp, which is feeding the Left channel of your power amp. Feed the Right to the other preamp, to the Right channel of your power amp.

If you want a blended signal, the Boss LS-2 is probably the cheapest, easiest, and most convenient way to do it. Basically it's a 2 channel mixer. You plug your bass into the LS-2, then go out to your preamp. In one of the effects loops of the LS-2, you put your entire chain of effects. When you step on the pedal it engages or disengages the effects loop, putting your effects in your chain. There's knobs on the LS-2 which allow you to control the blend volume of the effects loop.

For what its worth, the inputs on the Gran Prix are voiced exactly the same except one has a pad on it of a few decibels for active basses. It's not like a guitar amp that has a lead channel and a rhythm channel. The Gran Prix is a one channel preamp.

9. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

so i cant use both inputs? or use 1 input and use the effect return of other input and then mix them with the effect blend?

i example of what i want to do is in one side set a a phrase and use a HOLD delay so it repoeats for ever, then with aan volume pedla cancel the signal into the delay (so it doesnt create CHAOS) and riff with the phrase behind.

10. Now you're getting me a bit out of my depth. I believe you can still plug into both front inputs at the same time and still get sound. But, since there's only one input gain control, you won't be able to mix your signal with the preamp, therefore you'd need a mixer of some kind before the preamp.

Using the effects return isn't really a great idea because you'd be hitting it with an instrument level signal as opposed to a line level signal. You might have some success with the effects blend control, but the effects loop comes AFTER the input gain, so you wouldn't have the ability to add gain to the effects return signal.

My explanation's a bit convoluted, but so is your question.

11. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    what about the level controls on the pedsals ill be using?

12. Jazz Ad

Sorry if I sound like a broken record but your Korg does exactly that. Any loop recording pedal will too, minus the volume pedal.

13. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I use an Axess Electronics BS2 (buffered splitter) but I think that's a little pricey for what you want to do. It completely isolates each signal for using two separate amps.

14. Jazz Ad

Yeah it's a rich man Boss LS-2.

15. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    i just discovered some days ago the hold function, cause you told me (thancks!). how can i start playing over the phrase without adding what i play to the delay?? and also, can i set the delay time?

16. Jazz Ad

I highly suggest reading the manual. You may discover things. :)

In HOLD mode, when you use the switch at the end of the course of the pedal (pedal LED turns on) you can record your loop, pedal controls delay input volume. When you think your loop is ready, set the pedal to 0 and you can play over the loop without adding to it.
    If you want to add to the loop again, just push pedal back up.
    When you're bored with the current loop, use the switch again (LED turns off) and the pedal controls feedback so you can cut the loop right off or let it slowly die while you intro the next one. It's perfect for live use.
    You can adjust the length of the loop with the LEVEL setting of the patch.
    Then you have the LOOP1 and LOOP2 functions that switch on automatically when you start playing. The pedal lets you control the length or volume of the loop.

17. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

:hyper: