Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Divinely inspired... ok bad pun....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ArtisFallen, Jul 17, 2005.

1. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    Well i mentioned in the GH forum that i'd been inspired by Benevette's Divinity guitar from the tour. after some futzing with the idea, changing the things i didn't like and adding some contours to make it slightly less of a knock-off :eyebrow:, I came up with this design:

[​IMG]

It's going to be a fretless five.

I'd like to send a big thankyou to Cerb who so graciously provided me with that super measuring template, so everything is propperly proportioned on this image :D.

what'yall think? i know y'all have never been a fan of my pointy-ness, but i think i kept my insatiable urge for angles down at least a little....

ok so i went overboard on the lower horn... i appologize. :D

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I like it overall, I'd just loose the can opener in the headstock, it doesn't look like it belongs to me.

3. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I like it :D. Like LajoieT said, though, the headstock doesn't really match. I figured someone would make use of that simple tool some day.

4. Have you decided on woods to be used???

~Ryan

5. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    yeah... it's going to cost a pretty penny too i belive...

-walnut body
    - wenge neck with bloodwood laminates that you can see cutting through the upper top plate. i'll probably use some maple veneer to accent the bloodlines
    - ebony or cocobolo fingerboard
    - cocbolo top, or macassar ebony, depending on how much money i'll have to blow on wood
    -maple acent line

and i'll have hollowed out the upper bout with those two triangular cut outs for the semi-hollow effect :D

EDIT: the picture shows macassar ebony. I don't know though. if i end up having enough money, i'll put it to a vote as to which i choose.

6. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    smooth the headstock, and it cool!

maybe walnut crotch top with avodire PG?
    macc ebony board?

Heres How cerrunos began.......

7. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I hope you don't plan on playing this thing sitting, that point on the lower bout would feel great in the thigh.

8. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    Yeah i know exactly what you're talking about, that point looks like it might sit in right on the inside of the thigh... and it might, but i think i screwed up the lower horn a little bit on the drawring. it's a little to long, and like you said that point's well... akward, so i'll probably widen that particular contour to fit snugly on my thigh instead of in my thigh :D

9. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    yeah i saw that... tis what inspired me :D

I've already got my heart set on having a walnut body so having a crotch top would be cool, but without the contrast i want.

everyone seems to loath my headstock though... :( I'm just wondering what everyone would suggest for me. The headstock is really the part of a guitar where the individuality of it's creator is defined. The Fender headstock for example, while good looking wont do on my bass because it's not a Fender.

The only headstock i've ever really liked was the Warwick Corvette's, and i really don't want to copy anybody's design. so what would you do to alter my head?

10. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I'ma call BS on that. In my estimation it doesn't matter what your headstock looks like so long as it fits the guitar. If for some bizzare reason (such as a 3 month long 40 binge) I decide to build a pointy bass it should really have a pointy headstock. Lucky for me I'm not really into pointy, so the headstocks on my designs reflect that. About the only time I'd personally be concerned with a uniqe headstock design for all the instruments I build would be if I was trying to create a brand identity. Even then, I'd rather the brand be defined by the quality of the product and workmanship more than the uniqueness of the headstock.

All that being said, here's the direction that I think you should go with your headstock. A quick hack in Paint and I'm liking it quite a lot. If I had a bit more time (and AutoCAD on my home computer) I'd swing the top bump down a bit to make almost an Alembic style omega on the back of the headstock. I think that'd look tight.

[​IMG]

-Nate

11. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I think that headstock is pretty sweet nateo! Oh, the joys of MSPaint. :D

12. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    Nate... dude you just made my headsock that much cooler.

oh and yeah, now that i think about it: your right... although i'm not a favorite of admitting i'm worng :rolleyes: :D

13. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Don't worry about it. I'm still hoping that one day you'll come to your senses over the whole pointy issue.

On second thought, you keep right on doing it. That way if anyone ever goes on their own 3 month 40 binge and wants to pay me to build an instrument, it'll be less likely to be pointy since you've got that corner of the market tied up.

-Nate

14. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Heh, there ain't nothing wrong with pointy, as long as it isn't death metal, kill little bunnies and small children pointy.

15. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004

NEVER!!! :D

i have no clue what a 3 month 40 binge is, but i'll just keep right on truckin'. at least i think it looks decent :D

heh... warlock.... not a fan of BC Rich are we?

good me neither.

16. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Lately I've gotten into the awesome habit of drinking 40 oz bottles of malt liquour. You know, the 8 or 9% "beer" that you see in the liquor store but you're too scared to buy? That's the stuff.

It's so much cheaper than buying cases of "high quality" beer and, being a pretty sizeable guy, the bottles fit my hands better. You also get the bonus of looking hella tough when you walk around with one of those things in your paw.

-Nate

17. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    [​IMG]

im not sure,

i think nate had a point with the headstock, however i think you should flip it so it faces in the direction of a fender. (if that makes sence)

im also not fond of the lower horn.

the design of the lower horn looks like an upper horn shrunk down and the upper horn looks like a lower horn flipped and made larger.

this would also fix the sitting down playing problem.

but this is just my opinion and im not a great fan of spikey basses.

18. I'd just take the barb out of the lower horn, and smooth the transition so it sits on the leg better (and would look better, imo) and incorporate Nate's headstock revision and have a go of it.

Not my thing, but it's not terrible either.

19. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004

No no no no NO!

I have it "backwards" for a reason, mainly because i've always preffered the reverse headstock to the standard direction. I feel that for me, it's easier to tune with the tuners on the "G" side of the neck because that's where my hand is going to be any way, and crossing the neck with either hand just seems like too much of a pain to a lazy bloke like me :D.

And as for the lower horn issues to both Mon Rominee and Theshortlist_to, the first issue i pointed out myself was how overblown the lower horn was ;) , and not much later mentioned how i drew it slightly larger than i planned on making it on the actual guitar. I also said I was planning to go about fixing the lower contour to fit around my thigh.

So Yes: I know i screwed up there, and nate gave me an excelent solution to my headstock, so please, unless it's a new issue i havn't been clued into yet, let's not re-hash it. (unless you're just here to bash my design, in which case, have at it :D ) Thank you.

20. Whoa nelly....no, I'm not bashing your design at all, and I've read the other suggestions and your notes on the lower horn, I'm merely suggesting that the overall size and shape of said horn is excellent...just think the exclusion of the pointy nub would make the design really work.

Mon