1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Diving headfirst into the Pedal world.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JohnathanBox, Dec 26, 2016.

1. JohnathanBox

JohnathanBox

Oct 19, 2016
    Okay, so here it is, I am THAT guy. Christmas has come and gone and I have money burning in my pocket.

Ive decided that I want a compressor and then an affect, probably distortion of some kind.

So far I have in my cart on eBay, A DOD Milk Box for $55 and a Little Bear Rat Attack 2 for around $35-$40.

I have checked the shrine of Onvilab and the Milk Box seems to be the big top pick for cheap.

I kinda just want to get some opinions. Also, the Rat is coming from China (of course) and I am no electrician but 9v is 9v right? Getting a pedal from there will work just fine here in the states and in the UK ?

2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

9v is 9v, but Rat-based distortions tend to lose a little of the low end.

3. JohnathanBox

JohnathanBox

Oct 19, 2016
    Which is why I was gravitating toward the Little bear, I've heard it holds quite a bit of low end for it's price.
    But say I wanted to keep some low end with a distortion. Should I look at something like the DOD meatbox to add some sub and low end? Or should I go for something that cuts the single so I can keep some dry and some wet?

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Well, I should say I have no experience with the Little Bear, and it may very well keep low end, but if it's a straight clone of the ProCo it probably won't.

The Meatbox is probably overkill. That's for room-filling, subsonic throb, like what you hear at a club that's playing EDM or hip-hop. It's great if that's what you're going for, but as a solution to a pedal that cuts lows, it's the wrong tool for the job.

The third option you're talking about, keeping some dry and some wet, is called "blending", and I think that's what you're going to want. You could buy a separate blender pedal and use it with the Little Bear. Or you could look for a deal on something like the MXR Bass Distortion, a Rat-based distortion with separate dry and wet level controls.

Do yourself a favor, though, and wait for a few more responses to this thread. I'm a reasonably well-informed guy, but there are some true pedal-heads here that need to chime in. :)

ukedealer likes this.
  5. Your journey begins, hold on the ride can get a bit bumpy.

ukedealer likes this.
  6. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    OK, question is how much do you have to spend and which pedal is your priority compression or dirt?
    If dirt, how dirty do you want it and what kind of music is it for?
    What do you want your compressor to do?
    I would say if you have a limited budget get 1 decent pedal instead of 2 OK ones and save and then get another.

eriky4003 likes this.
  7. I heard that this is a GREAT Rat style dist box, would like to check one of these myself as it goes!

rratajski likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    It definitely is a great Rat-based box. It was designed by the head of Fuzzrocious and is basically a simplified Cat Tail, which rewrote the book for Rats on bass. And while it does have wet and dry level controls, you don't need to blend wet and dry to get solid bass response out of it.

rratajski and ukedealer like this.
  9. Thanks for that JimmyM, I'm a Rat nut but haven't owned one in nearly a year(!)
    I stupidly sold my Martin Owen bass modded Rat to raise the cash for
    a SLR camera for my Mrs (aaaaaaaarfg!!!!!)
    I'll keep my eyes peeled on the second hand market for the MXR or a Cat Tail so I can check 'em.
    If you don't mind me asking a silly question JimmyM? If you were forced to make a choice between a MXR Bass Distortion and a Fuzzrocious Cat Tail (trends and names NOT to be taken into consideration) which one would you sooner have on your board??

JimmyM likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The Cat Tail has some features that are very cool and aren't in the MXR, but I think the MXR keeps the meat of what's cool about the Cat Tail and puts it in a small pedal, and I like small pedals better. So if I had to do it over again, I'd still do the MXR, I think, although I do really like the "no diodes" setting in the Cat Tail.

rratajski and ukedealer like this.
  11. Thanks for that JimmyM, as I said, I shall keep my eyes well and truly peeled.
    I'm sure it was on here recently that someone said the MXR Grande Fuzz was like a bunch of Rats stacked, that's another one I'm dyin to try out!!

rratajski likes this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I've not played the Grande, but it sure sounds good in demos I've heard.

ukedealer likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021