1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD DIVORCE SALE - STATUS JONAS HELLBORG

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by kurosawa, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I bought this from Bunnybass years ago (they gave me permission to use their photos). Many kinds of basses are "The One." This is absolutely the WARMEST bass I've ever played. It is truly a magic plank. Comes with form-fitted injection-molded case.

Right now I have to solder in the preamp. I had dead batteries and thought I had a bad preamp, so I ordered a new one (turned out it was the wrong one) from England, then I figured it out after I installed the new preamp, and THAT ended with me scratching the top where one of the knobs touched down (it's a ring scratch hidden under the knob), and I was so bummed about the idea of re-switching the preamps that I put the bass up.

Anyway, by that time, I had bought The One, a SQ-series P (also for sale in the everything-must-go divorce survival sale), and that bass replaced the Ken Smith BT-5 that I'd played for a decade, and I played it until I retired. So this bass gathered dust.

If you get it out of my hair and re-swap the preamps yourself, you can have it for $600 plus shipping, but if I have to fire up the soldering iron, I'm gonna hike the price.

OK now I'm gonna post pics and info in a series of replies.

Attached Files:

2. ORIGINAL LISTING:

Status Graphite Jonas Hellborg 4 string bass

Builder: Status Graphite
    Model: Jonas Hellborg
    Serial Number: 1171555
    Case/Gigbag: original hardshell case (black).

Dimensions
    Scale Length: 34 inches.
    Neck Shape: oval.
    Width at Nut: 1 11/16 inches.
    String Width at Bridge: 2 1/8 inches.
    Overall Length: 43 inches.
    Widest: 11 1/2 inches.

Construction
    Neck: bolt-on, maple (3 pieces).
    Fingerboard: rosewood, 24 frets + 0 fret, creamy white face & side dots.
    Body: mahogany, 2 pieces.
    Finish: satin, urethane.

Hardware
    Bridge: Status, black.
    Tuners: Gotoh, black.
    Strap buttons: black, 1 on upper horn, 2 on body end.
    Output: 1/4" mono jack.

Electronics
    Pickups: 2 Status "Hyperactive" soapbars.
    Controls: volume, balance, 3-band EQ with mid-switch (boost-off-cut).
    Preamp: Status, 36-volt (four 9-volt batteries).

Condition
    Overall Condition: near mint.
    Fret wear: very light.
    Superficial wear: a few small scratches and scuff marks, possibly from a belt buckle near the upper neck-bolt (back of the instrument).
    *** SEE MY NOTE ABOUT THE NEW RING SCRATCH UNDER THE KNOB ***
    Deep wear: none.
    Hardware wear: none.
    Pickups wear: none.

Comments:

A tiny bass from England with a monster tone. This very unique looking instrument was created by Status Graphite in collaboration with bass legend Jonas Hellborg to fit his special playing techniques and sound ideas, the resulting design is straightforward, logical, and effective for the purposes of good sound creation. The bass plays wonderfully and through its extremely small dimensions it feels almost like a guitar rather than a bass when you have it on a strap or on your lap. But the most stunning feature of the bass is the sound - the neck pickup delivers a most wonderful P bass sound you can imagine, with lots of punch and detail. Adding in the bridge pickup and the active 3-band EQ you can add beautiful colorations and gives the instrument a huge variety of great sounds. The amazing 36 volt preamplifier (powered by four 9-volt batteries - oh my!) gives the bass the biggest headroom in the bass world so that what ever you do, and no matter how hard you hit, pick, slap, or otherwise abuse this bass you never have the feeling there is even a trace of distortion involved.

Attached Files:

3. Headstock pics. The bass has a dead spot where bolt-ons usually do. I've been playing around dead spots my whole life (if you have to sustain a G string dead spot note and can't get to the D string to play it there, you simply stop both the dead note and the note an octave down, picking or plucking only the higher note, and there you go. Or you can see John K for dead spot removal using his inlaid tungsten headstock weight, just search TB for "dead spot removal").

Attached Files:

4. Here's a cool pic of the bass body plus the first page of a review.

Attached Files:

5. Final 2 pages of the review.

Attached Files:

6. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    I was on the same road as you are now.I sold all my gear because of divorce.
    It is s.....t because you stay without wife and your gear wich you love.
    I wish you all the best

7. Thanks milo! It's been dragging on 2 1/2 years and got put off again until Jan 27. Gotta fight for the kids though. They told me when it all began that they wanted to stay with me and not with her. Lost my job, unemployed 15 months, went bankrupt somewhere back there, but the kids keep me going.

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Interested. But what is the small body size like? Is it as small like a Spector or Thumb bass?

9. Small. The widest part of the body is 11 1/2". And the body pretty much ends at the bridge.

10. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
    PM sent.

11. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
    PM sent again with correct number!

12. ubado

ubado Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    This shouldn't be around for long ... one heck of a deal here.
    (darn check engine light had to take all my money)

13. t3ch

t3ch

Nov 17, 2007
    DC
    What do you mean by "warmest"? Is this thing going to be like my laptop and burn me in the pants region?

nice bass

14. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    You have a PM

15. When I plugged up for the first time (in the rehearsal hall) this other guy and I said 'warm' at the same time.

It is more forward than can usually be gotten away with because it's smooth like Nutella, no harshness or nasality.

Civilized. I mean, there are bass sounds that step on everyone and they feel stepped on. They don't feel this.

16. *** SOLD ***

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.