Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dixie Dregs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Rope, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Rope

Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    I picked up the Steve Morse - Sects, Dregs and Rock n Roll DVD, as he has always been one of my favorites. While the production leaves a little bit to be desired, the playing certainly smokes. These guys are simply amazing. No other great commentary, just a que to check it out if you are inclined toward this type of instrumental stuff.

2. ABSOFRICKINLUTELY

IMO, their version of Kashmir just blows me away. It outdid Zep's version, maybe not as dramatic, but definitely with more energy and passion. I still have several of the original vinyl releases (Free Fall blew me away then). ok, I'm old now.

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    pssssst.....this is the basses forum-not recordings. I'm sure a mod will be along shortly to move this thread. :)

4. Rope

Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    Yeah, I'm an idiot. It's still a great band, even if I can't manage to conquer a pretty straightforward forum format.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Moved to Recordings.

6. I have not seen the DVD, does it have Kashmir on it?

7. Rope

Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    No, it doesn't. It has a pretty good cross section of both the Dregs "hits" and Steve Morse's solo work. The Dregs concert is from 2001 and the Steve Morse Band show from 1992. Again, it is too bad the production isn't a little better, but I found it very entertaining.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I love it too, it's just sad that it's not a real SMB gig on there.

9. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    LaRue on the DVD right? I'll try to pick it up, I love him!

10. zephir2004

zephir2004

Mar 8, 2004
    Cool, I just noticed this thread. I have to pick that up if Dave is on it. Personaly I think Dave is one one the best bassist out there today. I had the opportunity to study with him back when he lived in Jesery and he taugh there. I remember even back then he was one of the most versitile well rounded bass player I ever heard or met. All syles of music, improv, reading, you name it he could do it. Just a monster on the bass as would would have to be in order to keep up with Steve Morse. I can't wait to see this. Thanks for the info

11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    its funny, I saw the video of the AMpeg birthday jam thing and Dave was sort of just standing there in the back and looked really lost and out of place, I still LOVE him though. SAD NEWS. I went to the CD store today and asked if they had it and he said it was discontinued :eyebrow: is he getting mixed up with another DVD?
    EDIT: It is discontinued... IT's not on amazon.ca but it's on amazon.com for 26$ american.... :rollno: It's alot but I'm trying to think if I should hit it or not...

12. Rope

Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    Dave Larue is the bassist. One of the infuriating things about this video is that they can't seem to keep the cameras on the players being featured at each point of the songs. I think its during the Kat Food solo, when Larue is just going off, they inexplicably cut over for a few moments to Morse...who is pretty much just standing there. They obviously had cameras on everyone, why not match up the performance with the video editing?