Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DIXIE DREGS!!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BassWizard55, Jan 7, 2003.

1. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Oh my God, I just heard the Dixie Dregs. They are f**king awesome. I though Dream Theater had the most tecnically demanding music out there. Do all of you know of this band, or am I just really young?

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    please take no offense at this but you must be young...

I haven't listened to them in years and the only band member whose name i remember is Steve Morse.

I remember the bass player played a 6 string with a pick but I do not remember what kind of bass he played.

I saw them open up for , you'll never believe this, "Journey" back in like 1984 ?

3. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    yeah, the bassist's name I think I heard somewhere is Dave Larue (?). But he's awesome.

4. Andy West was the first bass player.
    Try to hear the song Assembly line.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    yep, Andy West... I wonder what he is up to ? The album of theirs that I really dug was "Industry Standard."

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Andy West was the original bassist,and he was way ahead of his time.he played 4,5,and 6, fretless,and on ocasion a 8 string(4 doubled)he had his own voice.a lot of the technique that Kats are ranting and raving about today he was already on it.talk about groove,and if your into chops you would surely get your monies worth.he's currently a computer wiz with his own co.and on occasion he steps into a music project.it would do any serious Bassist justice to check him out if your not familar with him.

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The Dixie Dregs are awesome. Steve Morse also has an excellent trio with Dave LaRue on bass. Dave has sometimes played in the Dregs, too.

8. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Andy West. Yeah baby. He was their original bassist and is a monster player. A good friend of mine is friends with Andy. Andy is in the computer industry now (I think back in Chicago...??). One of his projects outside of the Dregs that I really dug was "The Mistakes" with Henry Kaiser, Mike Keneally, Prairie Prince, and Andy West (obviously). They just recorded the one album, which was released in 1995, but it's brilliant stuff. I highly suggest it.

9. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Doesn't T. Lavitz play keys for The Dregs? They are a very tight outfit. Check out the Live album, "California Screamin'" from 2000. They do some cool covers of Zappa's "Peaches en Regalia" (w/ Dweezil as guest) & The ABB's "Jessica". BTW, their version of Jessica rivals versions that I have heard by the ABB.

10. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Yes they rule !!! Glad to see that young people are discovering this music. The past is also the future of rock.

[tangent]

More complicated and solid rock music will come back as the pendulum swings away from the computer-generated techno, faux soul, cRap, and "pop punk". You'll see.

People laughed when I said a few years ago that rock would resurge and started STOKE - at the time there was nobody with a guitar on the charts and now look - QOTSA, White Stripes, Andrew WK, Sum41, etc. etc. etc. They also laughed when I lead a rapmetal band back in '91 and now we've had almost nothing but rapmetal. I was correct then and I am correct now. Take lessons and learn to play kids !! There will even be a prog resurgence at some point (Tool?).

[/tangent]

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Thank you Prophet SMASH. FWIW, I agree.

12. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    You heard it folks! HED FUCAH was there first.
    ;) :D

I think I like the name Dixie Grit better...

BTW, Andy's site is pretty cool.

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Thanks for the Info Ed.

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Ed, you are a fount of knowledge...

15. Welcome to the future BassWizard!!

Some more about the Dregs. Ed's experience with them was before they (Morse, West) went to college down in Miami and were the core of a performance band at U of M School of Music. That's where they recorded their first album which is now out of print. I first heard of them when the local Pensacola FM station played their entire album "What If" one night in 1978. My buddy, another musician, and I tried mightily to pin down who it was we were listening to - We ran down the list of usual suspects like Jeff Beck, Allman Bros., etc. but just couldn't match up what we were hearing with the artists we knew.

Andy West was the first I had heard of that used a bi-amp system. His inspiration led me to finally acquire the components for a similiar rig and it does everything Andy said it would. BTW, his bass work on the Alembic was a true example of the Alembic tone that folks find elusive.

I've seen the band twice as the Dixie Dregs (once on halloween with Allen Sloane in a rabbit outfit!) and once as the "Dregs" here in Atlanta the night they recorded "Bring 'Em Back Alive" that was released under the Dixie Dregs moniker. That was my introduction to Dave LaRue - Whew!

They are my favorite band of all time. And I still prefer instrumentals over vocal music. I would probably feel different if vocalists could put as much emotion into their work as these guys did to their instrumental compositions.

16. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Don't Forget his work with the band Jazz Is Dead!

17. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    what's that supposed to mean?

18. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, baby!

The Mistakes rule!!! Awesome album.

19. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Which bassist played on 'Cruise Control'?

20. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Wasn't Cruise Control on a very early release called 'Freefall'? Then Re-released on Unsung Heroes.

Started listening to the Dregs in 1980 at Penn State. Around 1983, Mark O'Connor toured and recorded with the band as well on fiddle and guitar....

memories......