1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Dixon" Lawsuit Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Diaper Geni, Apr 11, 2009.

1. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    I recently played a Dixon MIJ jazz bass. Was quite impressed! Nicely mojo-ed burst body with a bound and blocked rosewood neck. A little heavy, but DANG!, it sure played and sounded good!

I would assume that it's a bass from the famed late 70's lawsuit era of MIJ basses, but would love any info folks here would have on Dixon lawsuit basses.

Thanks in advance!

(And I did a search here on TB but it yielded nuttin'!)

2. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    BUMP.

Anybody?? :help:

3. as most MIJ "lawsuit" instruments of the time were, it was probably built in the Matsumoku (sp?) factory...or basically any one of the factories that made Ibanez, Aria, Univox, etc. they'd just badge them at random, depending on who was distributing them that week.

i'd say, if you're happy with it, you got a nice vintage bass on your hands. take good care!

4. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    like the guys said, Dixon or any other no-name was one of many what did come from the Mastu factory back then...

here's another no-namer with the same stuff you are describing on the one you played that I picked up for a 150.00 in very good condition and it even came with the pup covers.

sounds very good, neck is straight and is very "plywood" heavy!!! -- do I use it?, not really as I bought it for the pretty looks, and I'm not into putting another couple hundred to make it a #1 player with pups and pots as you can see THIS model came with a selector switch, not a blend knob. :D

scott6.

scott.

5. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Thanks for the responses!

I'm wondering: Would the serial number on the bass tell if it's a Matsumoku (sp?) bass?

6. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Ive seen those Dixons on my local CL listings. Never played one though. Looks like a fun backup bass.

7. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    No....only the "name brands" out of there back then would have any serial tracking ) if any ) info.

too many companies putting their own stickers on the same units pouring out of there.

8. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    This particular bass does have a serial number on it. I could go and get the number if that would tell anybody anything.

9. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    trust me it wont matter unless you KNOW of someone who kept records 30 years ago at the "dixon guitar company", and they could tell you WHEN they purchased it FROM Matsu/Teisco/Fuji-Gen/wherever with the hundreds or thousands of other units that were delivered to that company (mine is branded SCOTT and does have a serial, and is totally meaningless today )

it is the same as all the Charvels I have with serials, they are just a number, no date coding at all.

10. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Gotcha! Thanks for the info.

I may head out tomorrow and check it out again.