1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY 1/4' to speakon cable question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tlaubs, Mar 27, 2015.

1. tlaubs

tlaubs Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2010
    St. Louis
    I just go a new cab that has speakon's, and my Eden WT400 only has 1/4" outs. I went to the store to get 1/4" to speakon cables, but noticed they also had just the speakon ends for considerably cheaper.

Can I remove the 1/4" from one side of the cable I have and replace it with the speakon? If so is it tip to the +1, and sleeve to the -1?

Thanks

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    You got it right. Do not solder the wire ends that will connect to the speakon, just twist them, insert and tighten the screws. You get a better connection that way.

Bitterdale and B-string like this.
  3. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I'm not good with electronics at ALL, but I did exactly what you're trying to do, and it isn't very difficult. I just cut the 1/4" end off and installed the Speakon as described by beans in post #2. Much cheaper, and its a solid connection.

4. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    Neutrik Speakon To 1/4" Mono Jack Adapter, 7 bucks at partsexpress.

NA4LJX_2.

edencab and mimaz like this.
  5. tlaubs

tlaubs Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2010
    St. Louis
    Appreciate the help, the wiring is what I assume and I've made plenty of instrument cables blind of want to avoid the adapter because it seems to be a possible failure point

B-string likes this.
  6. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    I've used both the "hybrid" cable and the adapter on a regular basis for years with no issues. With any luck it will stay that way.

7. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    A big YES to this above. Few years ago, I did the same thing to a 1/4" cable, adding Speakon to one end and removing a 1/4" plug. I left the tinned wire as is on the speakon end connection. Later, I started having distortion issues at a gig and thought my cab had blown a speaker. After checking at home, turns out the tinned end had partially slipped out from under the screw and was loose. I trimmed off the tinned portion and made sure the now loose wires were crushed by the screw. No issues with that cable again.

I later just bought a Speakon end connector that slips over the 1/4" end plug for another speaker cable. No cutting involved and I can take the Speakon connector off when I don't need it. Not sure if either is a better way but both are working for me for the different situations they are needed in.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  8. tlaubs

tlaubs Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2010
    St. Louis
    I'm Sure there would not be any issues with the adapter, but wiring it in looks pretty straight forward and one last thing I've go to remember

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015