1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIY 1x15 finished w/pics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MojoBenny, Feb 4, 2008.

1. MojoBenny

MojoBenny

Dec 14, 2007
  2. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    lookin sharp! what did you cover/paint with?

3. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    same question! (looks great, btw)

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Nice looking job. How's it sound? What's the 15" driver?

Your pictorial answered a question for me on the use of a pocket hole jig.

Great work. How about reviewing it for us when you've given it a good try out?

5. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Bravo!

6. Very Nice!
    I have 2 questions: first, what does it weigh?
    Second, how does it sound?
    I really like cabinets w/o crossovers and tweets! How does it cover the sonic spectrum?
    Where did you get the plans? or did you design it yourself?
    great job by the way!
    :bassist:

7. MojoBenny

MojoBenny

Dec 14, 2007
    thanks, man...
    ok answers:
    first, I had three goals
    1) much lighter,
    2)fits in my trunk
    3)sounds better than my old Yorkville 400B combo

It is WAY lighter than even the 400B cab without the head in it. I haven't weighed it yet but probably under 40 lbs. The driver is an Eminence basslite C2515 neo. The combo's driver has a giant magnet.

I've always played with a 1x15 combo amp. We play classic rock in bars and pubs. I've never really gone for tweets. I also have an SWR 2x10 but never felt it was necessary. Sonically, this cab sounds "wider" than the YV driver. On top: The C2515 is quite a bit brighter even though I play with flats. On bottom: My combo starts rolling around a G (I'm playing a 4-string bass). So, on the E-string...
    G: still ok,
    F#: hardly notice,
    F: noticable now
    open E: really bad roll off and tons of classic rock tunes are in E.

Of course I didn't notice any of this until I was able to compare the two. The new cab is very consistant down through an open E. Even below that - If I detune a D-A-D-G tuning for something like Nirvana's Heart Shaped Box (my bottom is then Db) it's still pretty strong.

The 400B was a pretty loud combo, this is a 4-ohm speaker instead of 8, so it is quite a bit louder when comparing.

I used WinISD for the box design. The box is roughly 87 liters. I only set a 15" depth so I can lay it driver-up in my trunk and a 24" width. The WinISD set the height (almost 19").

All the parts are from PartsExpress, wood from Home Depot. The box is painted Benjamin Moore 1673 (Vermont Slate). I forgot to order black screws and bolts, so all the hardware is stainless steel from the neighborhood hardware store. The speaker grille stand-offs (spacers) are just nylon spacers that I colored with a Scripto perm-ink marker (LOL).:smug:

I'm dying to play it out - haven't done that yet. I was planning on building a matching 4-ohm 2x10 cab and switch to a Crown XLS402. But, before expending that cash I'll roll with this for a while and see how it goes. I've got a couple of house projects in play and I have to return my attention back to the honey-do list for now :D

8. sineas

sineas F@H TEAM 33258

Dec 31, 2007
    NY
    forget the black screws... looks is a killer as it is... looks riveted :cool: /no1

9. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    Very cool. Did you fill the box with any type of sound damping material?

10. MojoBenny

MojoBenny

Dec 14, 2007
    no there's no damping material. gonna play it out first and see if I need a add anything.

11. GCool

GCool

Dec 9, 2007
    Nashville, Tn
    The Low End, Orange Amps, SIT Strings
    props on the build!

whats the cab tuned to? how many square in of port did you use?

12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You do, the interior of the cab must be 100% lined with an inch to inch and a half of open cell foam or polyester batting, if not the midrange response will be quite horrid.

13. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    This is an infinite baffle (sealed) design?

14. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    No. Look at the pics. It has a shelf port.

15. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    There's a shelf port on one edge of the front baffle.

Asad

16. Great assembly. Your cabinet looks solid enough to throw down a flight of stairs and still gig through the night. Kudos!

I couldn't tell from the pics, did you use glue on the joints or just screws?

17. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Thanks...Yeah I looked at the pics but missed that. Woops.

18. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Looks great! I like the pocket hole joints.

19. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Congrats man! I love the color.

I built very similar cabs using the same speakers. Mine weighed in at 29 lbs. each. But I used 1/2" ply and braced it to keep the weight down even further.

I definitely had to line the entire box (I used carpet foam). Lining it made a huge difference in tone!

[​IMG]

20. MojoBenny

MojoBenny

Dec 14, 2007
    ok sounds like good advice and I'll add some fill next week. I haven't weighed it yet. I'll do it when I get home. :)