1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIY 212 sealed ?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David A. Davis, Mar 14, 2013.

1. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    Anybody ever built one? I keep coming back to this configuration as a "want to bulid" project. I was just looking at the Eminence website checking out the BassLite S2012's. The cabinet design sheet says 1.15 cu. ft. internal volume, This is per speaker of course. Input, comments......?

2. The S2012 will 'work' in many different cab designs. The sealed 1.15 cf cab starts to roll off at about 140Hz, is down 3 db at 87Hz and is down about 14db at low E (41Hz). This cab will have tight, well defined bass, but will lack depth. It displacement limits at 125w (thermal 150w). The 7 db peak between 1.5 and 4 kHz will make the tone a little aggressive. The lack of peaking between 100 and 250 Hz will not provide 'punch'.

What are your design and tone goals? Will the above cab design meet these goals?

3. David A. Davis

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    Well, I think I may be in over my head. I understand everything you just said, but I have no clue as to go about the design. I would like something light weight (sub 50lbs)vintage tone, to be used with a tube amp. With that being said, I play an modern sounding active 6 six string.

4. rogypop

rogypop

Jan 10, 2009
    Croatia
    go for sealed 2x15 with eminence beta or delta. forget about 2x12.

5. If you don't know how to design a cab that will meet your design and tone goals, trying the DIY route can be expensive and frustrating. If you know what you want, try searching here and elsewhere for DIY cab projects. If the description of the performance is what you are looking for give it a try.

The next least expensive way may be to buy a used cab that meets those goals.

Good luck.

6. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Yup. That's probably my next project to finish. I have a thread that I left hanging months ago on essentially this topic. So far all I've done is throw a pair of deltalite 2512's into an Ampeg Portabass 212 (sealed, ~1.1cf per driver) box. I like it a lot, but I also have a few other speakers (basslite included) nib that I'm trying to find the time to try out.

As for what it sounds like, it's about 1/3 a fridge. Tight low end, with a bit of a lowmid bump and just enough treble extension. It doesn't have the sensitivity of 8 speakers, but it's been plenty for my needs (and fits in my bandmates' tiny cars). Pairs very nicely with my V4B.

7. David A. Davis

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    That's why I asked if anyone had built one:rollno:

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It might be worth perusing this article:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~fdeck/bass/smallbox.pdf

The article describes what amounts to a way of getting sealed-box tone out of a ported system, with the benefit of higher power handling and use of a commonly available driver. I've modeled the same system using the S2012 driver, and the performance is similar.

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    sealed box you would want to use at least a 2x12

sealed box power handling goes down, with a 2012 below 100hz your looking at roughly 55 to 65 watts power handling

and by using a 2x12 you would bring up the sensitivity and would probable still get the total SPL you would need to keep up with a band. giving you a 120 watt cabinet below 100hz above that power handling is much better...and still way way better than a 2x10.

for sealed you want a bigger box, and for sealed its ok to shave 20 or so watts of power handling by using a bigger box than 1 cubic foot.
    Max spl for a single 2012 is going to be around 120 dB no matter what, even if the model shows a 30 watt loss in power

Take it up to about 1.6 or 1.8 cubic feet

Or like the method Fdeck mentions you can simply build a ported box and tune it 8 to 10 hz below Fs or resonate frequency of driver, and use a good med sized box like 1.6 to 1.8

For this it would be better to use a driver with a lower resonate frequency like the Deltalite11 which has a Fs of 38hz unlike the 2012 which is somewhat high...i think around 47 hz.

anyways with the deltalite you just go below Fs to the max or 10hz below. so at 38hz just tune to 28hz and performance will be similar to a sealed cabinet.

Power handling is about the same roughly 55 to 65 watts maybe almost 75 with the deltalite. And again max SPL for a single speaker is still gonna be 120dB

so going fully sealed could be a good option, to get the actual feel of a sealed cab.

By using 4 speakers the sensitivity is really great, so a 4x12 would be the route to go for extreme power handling.
    Or better yet 2 vertical 2x12's

it will be tight and punchy and definitely have more bass than your standard typical sealed 10" cab.

10. Many on this forum have built DIY bass cabs and are familiar with some of the available DIY designs and how they sound. If you would give us your tone and design goals we could be more helpful. Things like the typical size of performing spaces, required spl and power handling, music genres and playing style, fat bass, tight bass, deep, scooped, mid forward, etc.

Honestly, a lot of people aren't really sure about what they like or are unable to put it into words, even after years of playing. If you are not sure, try recalling a cab or tone that you like. Then think about what it was about the cab or tone that you liked.

It might also be helpful to know what it is about the sealed 2x12 (using the S2012) that you like.

Without input from you all we can do is post what we like and/or think that you should like.

OTOH, if you really just want a 'no-nonsense' 2x12 design that is light, and handles X watts just say so. Nothing wrong with that. Some DIY folks tend to really get into the tone and design aspects, not realizing that not everyone shares the same interests and goals.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The eminence Beta 12 performs acceptable in sealed boxes and has a bit of vintagey, "ampeggy" tone. Could add that to your list of consideration. It's affordable, should bring a decent result and could also be ported and tuned low should you not like the sealed result. It is ceramic magnet, but not a terribly heavy driver.