1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIY 2X10 cab for my GK MB200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fuadramsey, Jan 11, 2012.

1. fuadramsey

fuadramsey

Jun 30, 2010
    I want a small (spare) setup to use with my GK MB200 head.

I currently have an SWR Working Man's 12 (blown amp I use just the speaker cab with the GK head) that I use with that and it sounds cool but was wondering what the ampeg sound would be like with that head

I was thinking of a 2X10 setup made with the same demensions as a single 2X10 compartment (same demension as a single 2X10 compartment from an 810). For the drivers I was thinking of using Jensen mod10-50 @16ohms in parallel. This would bring the 2X10 cab to 8 ohm, with a power handling of 100 watts at 8 ohms?

I was thinking 8 ohms of total impedence to closer match the 200watts@4ohms, or 140watts@8ohms rating of the GK amp. Plus I could even team up the new 2X10 with my 1X12 if needed.

Good or bad idea? Has anybody tired this? I'm not into the high-fi sound. I dig the old school funk p-bass sound.

2. basically a good idea re cab dimensions but I'd not mix the 2-10 w/a 1-12, there's umpteen threads here on the hows and whys of not mixing driver sizes.

For better performance you'd be better off w/a couple of Eminence S2010s than the Jensens, but that's just my 0.02.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ya, the mods won't handle much power in the lows at all. Unfortunately, decent 4 or 16ohm 10's are very hard to find. Most are either dirt cheap and not good drivers at all, or quite good but very expensive. A pair of basslite s2012's would be a nice choice for that amp. You'd end up with a 4ohm, 212 stack. Good SPL, good lowend, and could handle pretty much what the amp has to give. Friendly towards small, light boxes as well.

4. These are a better choice still, two of those would displace 540 cc vs the two of the S2010s at 280 cc's. Translation: more low end oompf. You could stuff two of them into 2.2 to 3 cu ft cabs (sealed or vented/tuned) and have a very nice cab.

5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I'd suggest your checking into a Ampeg, 8 ohm, SVT210AV cabinet.
    You can get one brand new for $299.00.......used ones pop-up on the T.B. classifieds often for even less.
    I doubt you could buy the speakers and hardware and add your time in to build it yourself for $299.00.
    It sounds just like a 210 compartment from a SVT 810.

I had one for about a week and ran it with my GK MB2-500 head...sounded GREAT! Looked great! Easy to transport. Looks like a miniature 810 cabinet!

It'll match up very well with your GK MB-200.
    And someday you could add another 8 ohm 210AV and you can run a vertical stack 410 and get full power from your head.

6. fuadramsey

fuadramsey

Jun 30, 2010
    That's pretty much what I was shooting for, but did not know how that cab would sound. Yeah it does look cool.

I'll have to go check them out with that head.