1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIY 4 Ohm 110 Bass Cab - Speaker & Wood Advice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dgrizzly, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dgrizzly

dgrizzly Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    I'm moving into a new house next week and have decided it needs a small workshop for fixing, maintaining and upgrading things around the house. I've also been interested in becoming a competent woodworker for some time now, so I hope to use it for creative projects as well. I think one of my first of such projects will be a living room 110 bass cab!

The idea is to have a small 110 bass cab that looks and sounds good enough to keep set up in the living room full-time. I'd like the cab to be 4 ohms with some kind of natural wood finish. Volume needs are minimal, weight doesn't matter and tone is the main concern. I play 5 string basses if that matters at all. This will be the first cab I've built.

My questions for TB are:

Are there any 4 ohm 10 inch speakers you would recommend for a small DIY 110 enclosure (no horn)?

Are there any specific types of wood I should stay away from for the shell of the box? I know baltic birch is popular, but I'm interested in using something a little more unique for this.

Many thanks!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. dgrizzly

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Why are you centered on a 4 Ohm impedance?

4. dgrizzly

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    It'll never leave the living room or be combined with another cab, so I'd like it to get the full power from any micro I use with it. Although, volume isn't a priority. Are there 8 ohm specific 10's you highly recommend?

5. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    It is pointless to chase the full power from a micro, as I can not think of a single one that wouldnt drive a full range 10" speaker to its full potential at 8 Ohms.

What kind of sound do you want? Sealed, ported? full range and transparent, or colored?

6. dgrizzly

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    I'm going for ideal "bedroom tone". Don't need to cut through a mix or anything. Just want it to sound "full" at low volumes and reproduce the B string well. From what I understand, sealed will tighten the lows, so with a single 10 I may want ported? I don't need super "hi-fi" as I typically turn the tweeters off in my cabs, but also certainly don't want a "muddy" cab either.

7. popgadget

popgadget Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    If you want to use the BP102, here's a link to plans, or at least design info from Eminence that would be a good starting point. I'd also agree that going to a 4 ohm driver to get the "full potential" out of the amp isn't going to net a measurable gain, but there is no harm in it either, except for the inability to scale your rig upwards, which the OP said isn't a consideration.

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Legend_BP102_4_cab.pdf

AstroSonic and dgrizzly like this.
  8. dgrizzly

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    You're right and as far as variety goes, I'm definitely willing to consider an 8 ohm driver if it will fit my tonal needs better. Since this is a low-volume cab only that won't be used in a modular setting or used to scale up later, I'm sure the volume I would get from it paired with something like an MB 200 would be plenty even at 8 ohms

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Feb 11, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017