1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIY 4x12 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MN_Bass, Apr 23, 2009.

1. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Looking for some knowledge on this one,

I like the sound of 12s,
    I like the sound of my sealed 8x10, guitar cabs are usually sealed right? Besides open back ones of course.

Could I buy lets say a empty guitar 4x12 cab, and 4 Carvin 12 Bass Speakers...I don't know anything about crossovers and that junk...need some help on this one..

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It might be possible under a couple of conditions. First, the box needs to have enough volume to work with the drivers. Second, it will probably be necessary to add a port in order to use off-the-shelf drivers.

Before ordering stuff, I strongly recommend playing around with WinISD, and learning a bit about speaker design. What you are up against is a design project, albeit working within the constraints of available drivers and boxes.

Some research and modeling might save you the annoyance of a speaker that doesn't give you what you want.

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

A half-stack 4x12 guitar cab is probably too small for four bass 12s.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I stuffed four EVM-12L in a Kustom guitar cabinet... sounded killer with my old Ric 4003

5. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    This might sound crazy but I like the sound of Marshall 4x12 cabs for bass.
    Deep Purple Machine Head - that's great Ric/marshall/4x12 tone.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    Ampeg V4 (4x12) are guitar cabs and they sound great for bass. I have three of them, one loaded with four neo 2512's, one with original heavy duty (50 watt) Eminence speakers and one with original medium duty (30 watt) speakers. ALL of them sound awesome, but i don't like to push the cab with the 30w speakers too hard. so, yes, i think 4x12 guitar cabs can make great bass cabs. i always liked playing bass thru marshall cabs too (as long as they didn't have greenbacks in them.

7. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Also a speaker noob, but if he leaves it sealed he can get away with a smaller internal volume, no?

Might still be small, though

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No. For equal output a sealed cab must be larger than vented. That's why vented cabs dominate the market.
    The best help I can offer is to tell you to go listen to some 4x12s and if you find one you like, buy it. Rolling your own is a bad idea, until and unless you can read this and it actually makes sense to you:
    http://www.eminence.com/resources/data.asp

9. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Great info guys, this is why TB is great, come up with a idea, and get good advice, Avatar 2x12 it is. Thanks