1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIY 8x10 designs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by prizefighter, Apr 19, 2009.

1. This is going to be my first cab build and was wondering if anyone had or could illustrate the inside of some 8x10 cabinets. Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, starting off confident, eh? ;)

No pix to show you but an Ampeg 810 is made with each row of 10"s in its own separate 210 compartment.

3. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
  4. Jimmy:Yeah, the way I see it, I want what I want haha.

okabass:wow that looks really good do you have any plans drawn up for it?

5. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    HI

Not anymore, sorry. But it ain't that difficult to get the dimensions from measuring the original cab. The ads and manual have the basic dimensions. The compartements walls are 12,5" -11,5"-11,5"-12,5" from the top (tiltback version). The material is 15 mm or 18 mm birch plywood. I have 15 mm pine ply in my version, and it works too, and it is quite a bit lighter.

6. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    OKA, nice job.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Just take the money you're going to spend on this project and burn it, and you'll accomplish the same goal. You're going to go through all the trouble of building a killer 810 and ruin it by using car audio speakers, when you can spend $20 more a speaker and get these:

http://www.fliptops.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=337

???

Me thinks maybe you should wait till your knowledge level equals your confidence level before you take on building the big granddaddy of bass cabs.

8. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Or build a 2x10 sealed cab first. Then stack four of them.

9. Hey Jimmy I didn't even know about that website, I think I'll go with those.

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    building an 8x10 isn't all that difficult, but, like JimmyM, i would recommend just buying a 90's SVT 810 cab. i bought mine on craigslist for $300 delivered to my door. the tolex was pretty roughed up (very common), but every speaker wwas in perfect shape. i just regrilled and re-tolexed it and now its just like a brand new one.

a used ampeg 810 is likely to sound better and have much better resale than a home-made cab. plus, by the time you buy all the wood, grillcloth, tolex, glue, screws, corners, kick plate, skid rails, handle, casters, speakers, jacks etc. you're gonna have way more into a cab with questionable quality.

here's mine after the restoration ( i now have $380.00 total into it):

svt-vr-svt810-av-2.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm a big fan of people who want to DIY, but in all honesty, John's right. It's a very costly proposition to do it right, and you can get 90's 810E's for cheap.

12. Well I just ran the numbers, and I can get two Peavey 810TX's for the cost of building this one. So consider this idea scrapped!
    I love coming to talkbass, you guys are always helpful.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well dude, our intent wasn't to crush your dreams ;) But an 810 is a huge undertaking and it's way too ambitious for you at this point. If you want to get into bass cab building, you should start with something smaller, and you should learn more about audio science. Like maybe start with a 112. Learn about cubic volume and how it affects speaker choice, porting, etc. Then work your way up to an 810 if you'd like.

14. Yeah I kinda figured that it would be too much, but hey I'm 16 and ambitious!

15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    there's nothing wrong with that. ;)

i was the same way at 16. i built my own cabs and amps back then too (i was 16 in 1969 :eek: ).

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hey, every cab you see today was designed by someone who was at one time an ambitious 16 year old. Who knows? Maybe you'll revolutionize the industry one day. It just ain't gonna be today ;) so start small and work up from there.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, and back then, cab building was 99% guesswork. Today it's an exact science, so learn all about it and you'll be able to avoid making costly mistakes like I'm sure John and everyone else I knew who built cabs made when they started.

18. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Man, I'd love Okabass' SVT clone... :)

19. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    At 14 I was banging out 215 cabs and at 17 we were duplicating ARB folded horn cabs.

If you know how to use a table saw and are crafty you can do a lot. I was fortunate Daddy had a killer shop and I had free rain on the thing. I made a lot of sawdust from 14 on...

My first project was a stobe light about 2 feet tall and 16" wide and had a rotating wheel for the flasher... Blink Blink. I was in 8th grade then... It made you sick after a while because the holes for the flood light bulb were off center so the flashes went up and down, hahahaha.

Plywood was only a couple bucks a sheet too. 3/4" 13 Ply baltic birch plymood at Menard's is $75 a sheet right now.

BOB