1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY air intake & cabin filters - automobile maintenance

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Before you go to your dealership for maintenance, see if you can't find a video or tutorial on how to change those filters yourself. Even if you're not due for new filters, I think they just throw it out there to trump up your bill.

The ones in my automobile are dead easy to get to & they cost 25% of what the dealership will charge you for them, before they tack on manpower charges.

Also, if you've got Amazon Prime, you can subscribe to getting new filters every 6 months, and it cuts the cost of a new filter almost in half.

mbelue likes this.
  2. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I have K&N air filters on everything I own (3 bikes and a car). Once a year, I take them out/off; wash 'em; re-oil 'em; and reinstall 'em. Cheap and eezy-peezy; and they'll last forever...:)

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  3. Yeah, an older gentleman was telling me about those K&N filters yesterday at Walmart. I managed to get the cabin filter & the air intake filter for my ride for less than $20, and they'll probably last a year.
    If I had an air compressor, I'd blow them out every few months.

4. +1 What he ^^ said, K&N. No more filters to throw away.
    Also for your house get the metal and mesh filters, vacuum them and done.

5. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Good thread @Super_Freak.
    Good ideas. Vehicle maintenance is a great place to save money. Anybody can replace an air filter, same some money folks.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Oil, filters, windshield liquid, antifreeze, break pads and rotors, whipper blades, all done by me. If needed ,I can also do some other stuff like cleaning injectors, change timing belt, change spark plug. Very easy maintenance tasks.