1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY All-Tube Combo Amp kit???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by behemecoytl, Dec 2, 2010.

1. behemecoytl

behemecoytl

Oct 1, 2008
    I am researching the ins and outs of DIY amp kits and looking for something like an all-tube combo amp, thinking 1x15 and low wattage to keep it as simple as possible.

are there kits available for this project?

looking at the schematic for the ampeg b-15 makes me feel that I'm already in over my head before i even jump in the pool. (luckily, I have professional help...)

2. ItsMichaelYeah

ItsMichaelYeah

Jun 4, 2008
    Miami,FL
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    um, the B15 is not exactly a simple amp ... Have a look at some of the Weber stuff (WeberVST.com IIRC) based on Fender. Maybe a better place to begin.

I doubt that you'll find a 1x15 bass oriented kit out there. Probably you design a 1x15 suitable for 50 to 100 watts and then do a BF Bassman style head and integrate that into your cab design. Weber's 100 watt Sunn looking head seems pretty interesting ...

4. behemecoytl

behemecoytl

Oct 1, 2008
    excellent... the Bassman may be the way to go.

5. These heads have me interested, anyone build one of the Smokin' Joe's?

6. In my view you couldn't get much simpler than a B15. If the OP thinks he is over his head with this circuit then he is probably right. He should start of with something like a Champ clone or other single ended design. Even a simple pre-amp. There is a lot to learn when building tube gear. Layout has to follow certain rules to avoid noise and instability. There are other current threads demonstrating these needs. The first amp I ever built suffered from an instability problem that I never did find. At the time I was 13 or 14. I know now exactly what I did wrong, then I just did a workaround.