DIY Bass building kits? basswood?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Jul 5, 2005.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    im thinking of getting a new bass (probably a rbx374) but the idea occured to me that i could build my own bass. a read some stuff on how to cut the wood and shape it etc. but it seemed to hard. then i saw this bass building kit:
    Fender Precision Bass style electric bass guitar kit - Build your own bass guitar! PB style electric bass guitar kit complete with all parts, hardware and electrics. Unfinished body.

Building your own electric bass guitar was never easier. Here is your chance to express yourself by creating a one-of-a-kind masterpiece. The HT-10-PB is a popular take on the double cut-away design that is probably the most versatile ever produced.
    * Kit includes all parts and instructions to build a complete, playable bass guitar
    * Body is made of all-select Basswood- shaping and routing is complete
    * Solid select Maple neck with a fretted rosewood fingerboard and a paddle head design peghead, ready for final shaping
    * Adjustable truss rod
    * All hardware is heavily nickel plated
    * Electronics are complete and ready for installation- no soldering required
    * All holes are pre-drilled
    * Complete with strings and lead

as far as i know the most important things in a bass is the pickups and wood. maple and rosewood neck seems OK but what on earth is basswood?
    so i was just wondering if this is worth getting and if the pickups suck i can always get some dimarzio ones or something
  2. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Basswood is a pretty good wood. Ernie Ball uses it for stingrays and bongos if I remember correctly.
  3. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Ibanez used basswood for the soundgear. It's a soft wood so be careful not to ding it.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you want an inexpensive introduction to bass assembly and finishing, it'll be more than fine for you. I'm looking at getting one for a project myself.
  5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    ive got 2 more questions:
    1. i think i need to cut out the headstock shape, is this hard? ive got a jigsaw but im scared that it miight screw something up
    2. can you get good quality types of a certain wood and bad quality types or is is "if its that type it is good"?
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    1. If you need to cut the headstock shape, it's not too bad. Just cut and sand, as long as the tuning peg holes are already drilled. Just don't interfere with the holes.

2. You can get good wood and bad wood of any type. At the level of the kits, I wouldn't expect a GREAT piece of wood.
  7. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    DIY kits are fun. My fretless is a Carvin bass kit (all stock Carvin parts except for some Bartolinis I had lying around). I had a good ol' time putting it together. I might get myself another soon! (A fretted 5-string.)
  8. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Here's what they look like when they're done...

they're a lot of fun to build and sound decent ...the necks arent the greatest but its easy to upgrade
  9. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
  10. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    mine has a slight twist to it...and there were a few high frets i had to file's certainly playable and acceptable for the price... just not great
  11. I built a Saga kit and my neck was fairly warped too. It's no use as a player, but was a fun project that let me screw up for $100 before I spent big $$$ on a Warmoth project.