DIY Bass Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ganzo, Oct 9, 2003.

1. ganzo

Oct 9, 2003
    Hey everyboddy

I'm new here and would like to ask if anyone of you guys has ever built his own bass cab.

Any experience, ideas, any on-line places to buy accesories like handles, corner protection etc... are very welcome!

2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    if you do a search theres lots of info on this
  3. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Hey Ganzo. Welcome to TB. Definitely do a search as there are plenty of people here who have built their own cabinets and have a wealth of knowledge to share on the subject. Try searching for "cabinet building 101" as a starting point.<BR><BR>:bassist:
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    As suggested, the search function should yeild plenty of Cab building threads.

Be aware there's more to it that just buying a speaker and sticking it into a wooden rectangle.

There are some great books out there on this subject. "The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" by Vance Dickason is the bible on this subject. It's a heavy read but well worth the effort.....

I also stumbled onto a very cheap, basic booklet at my local electronics store which had way too little detail, but the language was simple. This allowed me to grasp certain concepts before re-read Dickasons book, absorbing much more than I did first time around. Maybe this sort of book is a good place to start.
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Like everyone has suggested, do a search...

Plus, do yourself a favor (or favour depending on where you live) and follow Petebass' signature line...wise fellow that Petebass:D

A good source for corners, handles, carpet, loudspeakers, etc. is I've also purchased Eminence speakers from Dave at Avatar Dave has good prices on corners and other hardware bits too...all you have to do is ask.

Have fun!!!!
  6. ganzo

Oct 9, 2003
    Hey everbody

thanks for all your answers, realy helpful. I did some search with the porposed key words and found much more then on my fist attempt and at least I know now where to buy the hardware.

It is quit confusing all the formulas etc. for the "perfect cab". On the other hand, looking to cab's dimensons of different brands, theyr dimensions are within a 2" range.

I think I'll go with a golden middleway and just going to copy a cab that comes loaded with the speakers I have. Once done, I'll post my work on the "Show your gear"-thread, together with my 100W Bassman Head and J-Bass...

Keep on rockin'!

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Cris, that sounds like a great plan!

BTW, there is no such thing as a "perfect" cabinet as all designs require compromises to be made. Of course that doesn't stop many of us from searching...
  8. Then why go to all the trouble to build a cab?

Building is a whole lot of work. Cloning somebody else's cab is more expensive and time consuming than buying one outright. I guarantee you cannot build it for cheaper than they can. Don't forget the speaker jacks, dish, corners, carpet, adhesive, grille, hardware, feet, castors, handles.

After spending all the money on parts, invest a LOT of time building. Of course, you have full access to table saws, routers, screw guns, a full set of pipe clamps, signal generator, and digital volt meter. And... you know how to use all the above, and how to tune the cab.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but to point out the large amount of expense/work/skill involved in the process. Farming is easy work when you plow with a pencil.
  9. ganzo

Oct 9, 2003
    Hi Bgavin

If I would have the money and the shop right next to me, I'll would buy me quite some stuff, unfortunately that is not possible for everybody anywere on this planet and in this moment in my live its not possiobel for me. So here the reasons
    to build my DIY cab.

1. It's fun...
    2. I have allready a Eminence Kappa Pro 15 and two other Eminence 10" speakers in a lousy cabinet
    3. I have the wood, the skills and the machinery, not high quiality, but resonable
    4. I have the time to go slow
    5. I'm living in Mexico, any quality products are imported and do cost minumum 30 % more then in the US.
    5. I can't get here what I whant, I can buy only what someboddy offers me... ore travel 400 miles for a cab...

10. All are perfectly good reasons for building your own. One builds a cab when they cannot get what they want from a commercial offering.

You can get as much help here as you need... all you have to do is post a question.

Download my spread sheet, and you can see the various vented designs and tunings for your particular Eminence drivers. I have them all worked out already.
  11. He's right. After that, you have to stick a JBL or EAW or EV or Yamaha logo on it. :D

ganzo, personally I think your interest in building your own cabinet is admirable and wish you the best of luck on your project :) . If you have the tools and the time to study loudspeaker design, go for it!!! :cool:
  12. ganzo

Oct 9, 2003
    Thanks Bgavin

your info is helpful, but uff, I'm stil quite :confused: :confused: with all these numbers - after two days me advances are not too far...

I don't know if I understood that wrong but didn't find the vented designs... maybee you could give me a additional hint.. I expected something like a construction plan.

What I'm still fuzzy on is the vent design. I would like to do something like a AVATAR 115 with a vent slot on the bottom.

13. A slot vent is more difficult to design and build. The effective vent length is longer than the physical length, due to interaction of the side walls. The rule of thumb is calculate the vent length as physical + 1/2 vent height.

You will either have to make your inside slot vent adjustable in length, or will have to make several iterations through building the cabinet as you experiment with volume and tuning frequency. If you are adventurous, you can build an external slot vent and cut it shorter to tune the cabinet. Once the tuning is determined, you put the slot vent inside the cabinet, and increase the cabinet internal volume by the volume displaced by the slot vent.

Easy, eh?

Here is what you need for the Kappa Pro 15:

Link to Plans

This design is kind of pointless for several reasons. The baffle board is large enough to accept a 4" ID round port, which is MUCH easier to build and tune. This cab requires 3.82 cubic feet inside (net), and is substantial. Note the weights in the lower right corner for MDF or Baltic Birch wood. Add about 2 more pounds for grille, corners, carpet, etc.
  14. ganzo

Oct 9, 2003
    Thanks to everybody

I'm know constructing my cab and Ill be back on this thread when my work is finished...

I found also a nice little free-ware cab designe programm that heplped me much. Click here to have a look at it.. it's woth it!

15. Eminance used to do plan books and I still think they do a more modern version. It has all sorts of folde cone and ported cabs - many for musical applications. There's a couple of nice bass cabs with simple folded cones in them - you can scale the sizes according to how big you speaker chassis are. Email me and I'll send you a scan of a couple of pages of the ones that look intersting. As others have said, I don't thing these that much technolgy and planning going into commercial cabinets otherwise they wouldn't go through the door or into the transport. Most go for powerful speakers and cope with inefficiencies of the cab size that way. That's why you get 1200 watt amps - put this on the front end of a really efficent speaker the size of half a house and it would blow you away.
  16. ganzo

Oct 9, 2003

I would apreciate if you could send me these plans! You can contact me at