Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

diy bass cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kitcar765, Oct 23, 2005.

1. i was thinking of building my own bass cab, has anyone got any plans for a 4x10 or 8x10, blueprints or something?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    There are a bunch of semi-recent threads on the ins and outs of building your own.

Looking at the long term picture, a home built cabinet has a lot lower resale value than a commercially available cabinet, so if you're building a traditional design to save money, you'd probably be better off buying a used cabinet.

If you want something out of the ordinary, then it's unlikely that you'll find plans...

Beyond that...it's always easiest to copy what's out there...

3. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    Like BillyB said, unless you have a real specific need or a thing against the pre-engineered factory stuff, you are a WHOLE lot better off buying something that suits you. If you add up the costs (shipping, components, time) you cannot beat the people who do this for a living. There is a lot of affordable, decent stuff out there that you don't have to mess with.

4. Joey J

Joey J

Jul 12, 2005
    Building your own isn't the way to get a cab on the cheap, if that's what your after buy a Avatar. It is a way to get top of the line performance at a lot less than top of the line prices. I helped a friend build one of these
    http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/plans/product_info.php/products_id/21
    which he had the opportunity to compare side by side with an El whappo Jr, and it beat the accugroove pretty handily even though it cost only $300 to build it. And no switch that doesn't do anything.

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I also recently rebuilt a guitar cab into a
    dedicated 2x12 bass cab, with some modifications.

Bill Fitzmaurice was kind enough to assist me with
    direct advice and patience while I learned what it was
    all about, and I got help from other TB gurus as well who
    helped me muddle my way through to a successful
    conclusion.

The rebuild is documented in the link in my sig, about a page and a half start to finish. Feel free to ask if you have any questions that are relevant to your project after reading
    it. :)