1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY Bass Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Hello friends. For several months now, I've been pondering the idea of building myself a set of 2 custom cabs. I've done TONS of research into it as far as what all goes into the process and have gotten plenty advise from other cab builders. One thing I can't decide on is what speaker sizes should I have in the two cabs???

I really like the Accugroove El Whappo and El Whappo Grande and have been thinking that I would really want to do a set of cabs like that and probably just copy the design and stuff. What kind of speakers do you think I should put in the cabs? I'm tired of the same old 410s, 210s, 115s, 118s, 810s, 215s, and every sort of cab like that. Which is why I like Accugroove's cabs so much. I also like the idea of having a 21" sub woofer on stage with me and the separate mid driver with the separate mid level control on the back(I love my mids).

But for now, all I can do is save my money and spend time pondering about what kind of cabs I'm going to build. After all, I'm a high school student and don't even have a job right now.

One last thing. I really would not like anyone telling me to not do this and to just buy brand X's cabs instead. I can't even describe to you all what playing shows with cabs I've made with my own bare hands would feel like. And how it would feel to tell someone who asks me what brand my cabs are to say, "I made them myself" Catch what I'm saying? Over the past 6 or so months, I've spent countless hours studying what goes into building cabs and I know what kind of daunting task it is so PLEASE don't try and talk me out of it. Someday, this WILL happen.

Thats all.

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Download WinISD Pro, get the specs from the speaker manufacturers and then start modelling different woofers in different alignments. That 21" speaker is a Beyma FYI. Have a look at how that compares to a 3015LF for example.

This thread is a good read:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368003&page=37#725

Alex

3. oooo that link is wonderful! thanks a ton for it and the heads up on the beyma. i was always curious what woofer they put in there.

4. also, the list of drivers on that site are helpful too! oh gosh thanks so much!

5. www.billfitzmaurice.com is on the required reading list. If you build one of these, it will work as promised. No disappointment.

You also have to fully know what you want to achieve. Big bottom, small size, bright top, "vintage tone" (no bottom), and so forth. The choices are many.

Some guys like dark, thuddy cabs, others like strong mids ("cut through the mix"), others want full range.

6. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I catch exactly what you are saying.

You want something different, you want strong bass and you love your mids, you are creative and want it to show, and you care enough to have spent countless hours researching stuff.

IMO you are the posterchild for building an omnitop112 (or omni 10) with a titan39 subwoofer underneath it. You could use the omni alone for smaller stuff.

As bgavin said, the BFM stuff will work as advertised, the build are not impossible, and it fits your goals to a T.

Buy the plans for not much money, get all the free help/online advice you need, and build it.

If you decide its too big, too ugly, too whatever, you can EASILY sell it to someone for a PA or to some other bassplayer on here for what the parts cost you . I dont include your time spent building in the cost, since your time isnt worth all that much at your age (offense meant at all- Ive been there)

7. im starting to seriously think about building myself a pair of these cabs. i've never heard of them before now, anyone have anything else to share about them???? what should i expect from one of these cabs?

8. That's as good a reason as any to build one yourself. I did. I enjoyed building it and I love gigging with it. Here's my DIY cabinet thread

9. wonderful! thanks for the link. glad to see there are other people on here that are interested in diy cabinet building:hyper:

10. modulus763

modulus763

Nov 28, 2007
    Maryland
    Check out my Schroeder copy...It is 12" x 10" (angled) and horn combo...very punchy mids and great bottom. I used an Eminence Kappa Pro 12a, 10" PAS out of an SWR cab, and the horn and crossover come from an SWR Triad.

I love it and that is all that matters right?

Go for it. my cab.