1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIY bass cabinet, with pictures

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Feast, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Hey everyone, I created this thread to document my work on my homemade cabinet project. I am building it for my school's senior project and figured I would share my steps and experiences along the way.

When I decided I was going to make my own cabinet, I looked around and could not find any cabinet makers, (even custom built,) that manufactured a cabinet with a 12" and an 8" speaker, so I decided that I would try that combination myself.

I have pictures below of me measuring out for the sides of the cab, and cutting the sides. I am using MDF for the front panel, and 3/4 inch plywood for the other sides. I will be adding pictures as often as possible.

Some of my pictures may look slightly corny with me in them, but these pictures were taken for my class, so sorry in advance if you were wondering why some are how they are.

If anyone has any questions on anything about my project please feel free to ask.

Attached Files:

2. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Here are some more pictures, The first one is just the outside walls, it gives a good visual to the size of the box.

the second picture is from when I was cutting out the speaker holes.

Attached Files:

3. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Here is a picture from when I was drilling the box together. Also The second picture is from when I was soldering the wire to the 12" speaker.

Attached Files:

4. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    These are from when I was attaching the front baffle and then the speakers.

I have to make it over to band practice at the moment, but I have more pictures to come.

Attached Files:

5. It looks pretty good. What kind of speakers are you using? Also, how did you do the bracing?

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    The eight should have its own chamber and be crossed over to the twelve. My opinion.

Paul

7. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007

Yes, its a bad Idea to share enclosures, and I would consider a good 6 or a 5 instead of an 8.

How did you determine enclosure volume, tuning etc?

Antone-

8. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    HI

Yes, I agree. But it might work. Depends, what you want. How about damping material? Otherwise looks good.

9. Cool, nice to see you building your own cab.

However, I would suggest building one of Bill's cabs. Then you can still say that you built it yourself for school, and have a cab that has been tested and tested and tested again.

Unless of course you need to design it yourself too.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    And a very good opinion it is, otherwise the result will be very rough response and the likelihood of blowing the eight. The apparent lack of damping and bracing will also adversely affect response.

11. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have used acoustastuff poly fill i think is the name, off of partsexpress.com as dampening material. since it is such a small and fairly lightweight cabinet, I do not have extensive bracing inside, but the walls are glued and screwed into 1.5 inch butt joints along each inside edge. It feels very sturdy, even when i stand on it it does not budge a bit. I am using an Eminence Pro-8A and a Delta 12-LFA crossed at 800 Hz. I want to post more pictures but it keeps telling me that I have posted the maximum, is there any other way to post pictures besides putting them in as attachments?

As for the ideas of separating the speakers in different chambers, I thought of this when I was originally making the plans, but I figured I would try them together. I plugged in the cab to my head to test it out, and aside from the awful acoustics in my basement, I preferred the sound of it over my Mesa Powerhouse 210.

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Keep all 10
    Where's the blade guard?, Wear short sleeves, and you only need a few teeth above the plywood, not half a blade. Wear safety glasses even when drilling. Don't learn any of this stuff by experience. Take it from the tool manufacturers manual.

In fact dump the table saw, get a DeWalt Rail saw - much safer.

Other than that - great start!
    The second, third, fourth, ... will be even better. :) Keep going.

13. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    oh yeah and I forgot to say that most all of the pictures I made are staged for the project, but thanks on those tips.