1. Search results will be severely limited for the remainder of Thursday. A corruption forced us to rebuild the search index. Reindexing is in progress but will take several hours. Thank you for your patience!

DIY Cab Build - Help needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whitedk57, Jun 26, 2008.

  1. whitedk57


    May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I am thinking about making a 112 cab, and I was thinking of using the Eminence Delta 12LF driver. So, I downloaded the ever trusty WinISD program and started tweeking.

    I like the fact that it provides the optimum box dimensions for the driver(s) chosen. But, can I change the dimensions of the box as long as I get as close to the stated "needed" volume? In other words, will I lose anything by making it a deeper, squattier box versus a taller not-so-thin box?

    Also, in my research on this forum, I read that the 12LF needs a mid-range driver to complement it. What's a decent mid-range to go with it, and does it need some sort of cross-over? I don't plan on adding a tweeter though.

    I took a screen shot of the winISD information that I have so far.
  2. A cube the least acoustically optimal shape. There is something called the golden ratio which is most optimal acoustically. Somewhere between the two is usually the most practical shape and practicality is what dictates the shape of most enclosures. To answer your question, changing the shape and keeping volume the same won't change the tuning.

    The 12LF will benefit from a mid driver. It will require a crossover and it will end up costing a lot more to build your cab with one. Finding a driver that works better in the mid rage and still acceptable in the low freq range, combined with a high freq driver like a piezo, will be more economical as it won't require a crossover. If the cost is not an issue and hi-fi is what you want, then a 3-way cab is the way to go.
  3. whitedk57


    May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I am not clear on what the difference is between hi-fi and a bass cab. I have seen it mentioned before, but I assume the characteristics between the two is different. What I want is just a bass cab. Like I said previously, I don't need a tweeter.

    How much are cross-overs? Is there a specific cross-over for certain combinations of speakers?
  4. billfitzmaurice

    billfitzmaurice Commercial User

    Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Running flat to 32Hz is unnecessary, and gives a box size far in excess of what makes sense. An f3 between 45 and 50 Hz is sufficient, even for 5 string. A two way system makes things unnecessarily complicated for a newby. The Deltalite II 2512 has the same xmax as the D12LF and therefore the same low frequency output capability. For that matter the Basslite S2012 has a higher xmax than either, but the 150 watt coil is a bit iffy if you're only running one.
    No, you don't, but the vast majority of players would find the midrange of the D12LF inadequate without a midrange driver.
    This question goes to the very heart of loudspeaker design, and why a program like WinISD in and of itself is inadequate for a good result. Using it along with a book on loudspeaker design that explains all is highly recommended.
  5. "Hi fi," as you will see in threads on this forum, refers to a cab that has a flat response across the freq spectrum. Lets say a -3 @ 40 Hz and 18 kHz. This is a response more like a studio minitor than an ordinary bass cab. A typical 2x10 bass cab might be more like -3 @ 65 Hz and 3 kHz or a 1x15 might be 50 Hz & 1.5 kHz.

    Eminence makes some 2 way x-overs that are around $60. There's other stuff out there in $25-30 range too. Problem is, they x-over at a freq more suited for a tweeter and midbass (similar to an avatar cab) than a midrange and sub like what you are thinking about.
  6. whitedk57


    May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    So, if I wanted to drop the idea of a midrange driver and cross-over circuit, would the Deltalite II 2512 be sufficient for a bass cab by itself?
  7. qts


    May 15, 2006
    Hey whitedk57, let's start from the beginning.
    What kind of sound are you looking for
  8. 2512 II is better. I would use a tweeter or at least leave room directly above the driver to add one later, and I would shoot for around 2.4 cu ft @ 48 Hz.
  9. Good call on the size and tuning for that driver. Manageable box size, good enough low end extension.

    Avatar makes a box about that size and tuning. Check them out.
  10. whitedk57


    May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I assume you're talking about the 2.4 cu ft tuned at 48HZ suggestion and not mine?

  11. BeauZooka


    Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA