1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY Cab: Help me with the configuration!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by teej, Mar 16, 2006.

1. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It's hard to design a good cab if you have little awareness of the basics of acoustics and speaker design ... and internet advice from people who aren't especially cognizant either, won't raise the odds all that much ; }

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I know bass-building, but not cab-building.

3. This is exactly why I bought an Avatar 2x10; I wanted to build a basic matching 210 for that box I posted, but after I added the cost of drivers and crossover, I was at the same price point as the Avatar. Factor in the meager value of my time and labor, and it wasn't a tough decision.:D
    For that 15" cab, I traded an Acoustic 270 with bad ground and one foot in the grave for that Peavey Scorpion, and I had most of the materials at hand, so it was a great value. The only time I feel like it's worth it to build an enclosure is if I have extra speakers lying around.
    C7

4. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    What if I combined the traditional "box" design with a horn -- recess a pair of 10s or 12s so that I could build a horn in front of them? In my case, the problem with the Omnis is size. I simply do not have the room for a big cab. In fact, I literally have zero space, unless you count the middle of the floor. I may be able to relocate my case and set my head atop the cab, giving me room for a 24w X 15d cab.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    If you have no space, why do you need a huge amount of sound? Maybe something like even a 1x10 might meet your needs.

I will add a +1 to comments that it's hard to save money doing this. Suitable motivations include trying to get better performance, or if you want to go out on a limb and try something unusual. In my case "unusual" means a cab that is really small and lightweight.

On the cost front, I have been able to save a considerable amount of money by using scrap plywood, and thinking about what I really want to use the speaker for. In the final analysis, I realized that my speakers will never receive a lot of abuse, so I decided to go with simple varnished plywood -- no tolex, corners, casters, jack plates etc. The port is rectangular, and cut from scrap wood. The jack plate is a piece of something-or-other. Handles on my larger cab are integral to the box. Feet are little blocks of wood. On the small cab I used a strap handle that was sitting around. You catch my drift. We don't all need the complete trappings of a professional cab designed for heavy touring use.

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Not looking for a practice rig here. There's no space in my room, but there should be plenty on stage. :smug:

7. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I was thinking... I like the look of the O10, but the use of a 12 in the O12. What if I up-scaled the O10 to accept 12s?

8. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    If you're qualified to do that, that would probably be swell for you. I'm not qualified to attempt that exercise. There might well be a reason that Bill designed them as he did.

If am pretty disinterested in how they look; I care about weight and performance.

9. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    A driving range across the street was bought out last week to put in a new subdivision. I may be able to salvage the big plywood distance markers. Each one is a full sheet, but after a few years of weathering, I doubt I'll be able to find anything worth using.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Look at Home Depot for half- and quarter-sheets. Also, they will cut a sheet to your (approximate) dimensions for free.

Don't forget an additional rule of speaker building, which is to add the cost of all the boxes leading up to the box that finally sounds right.

11. The 12"+8" design sounds brilliant.

12. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
  13. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I know I can <i>buy</i> 1/2 and 1/4 sheets, but if I can save $50 using salvaged materials... :smug:

The Omni 12 and DR280 are looking good right now. :D